Slot Style MAF

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
DD and I were doing some tuning on my car this weekend.

I have installed a new slot style MAF in a 4" inlet tube largely in preparation for the 90mm throttle bodies.

Car made about 399 RWHP and we ran it up to 6500rpm with boost running at 21psi.

MAF voltage was in the low 3s max......I don't see anybody running out of MAF in the near future with this thing.

Thats a great pull especially for Kevin's dyno.

Thats good to know on the maf v, that was an HPX sensor from VMP Tuning correct?

No soot but I almost backed into the wall when I ran over the roller then my brakes didn't work good cause the car was barely idling and I had no vacuum.

Anyone that's planning to make 400rwhp or more should be using a slot MAF. They give you plenty of room. The design of the sensor itself puts backwashing at a minimum. I'm at 4.2 volts with a 3" blow-through.

Good numbers, Brian. What mods or improvements have you done since '10 Shootout?

Really the only thing was to permanently fix the 12" long cracks that kept reoccuring in my IC. Runs a whole lot better without huge leaks...I'm not certain that the car has really been right since installing the c4. I've been chasing things like this for a couple years......it seems like all is good now though!!!

Nice to hear. Can you share any details on how the sensor is hooked up and installed in the tube? I assume I can figure it out but it's always nice if someone has done it before and has the steps.

SS or Aluminum or Plastic Tube? Howd you get it to fit? Where is the sensor located? all that kind of stuff.

Mike they sell mounting pads that you can weld onto your steel or aluminum intake tube. Location and position from what I understand doesnt make much a difference. I hav ea spreadsheet here with the range a factory slot MAF will work in various size tubing...I just need to find it. The larger the tube the wider the range

I welded the flange vmp sells to my aluminum tube I think I have some pics I can load.....if not ill take some

I cant seem to find the transfer function curve I had for the factory 05 MAF in various size tubing. Anyone have that? My understanding is that in a 4" tube it should be more than enough for my measly 4-500rwhp

I'll be using a 4" tube, and was planning on using VMP as the source for the sensor and mounting method. Transfer function stuff i believe is available from VMP.

They have trnsfer function for there 199$ maf. You can get a factory 05 for a few bucks and with a large tube should be better matched for my HP range than the VPM...In a blow through however no

Brian,

Glad to hear it worked out well on your car. I'll be doing a similar upgrade to my 91 SC next week. Still keeping fingers crossed that the 95mm TB shows up in time to install, at the same time (not likely :( )

David

I gave up on the TB as well....now I'm just hoping that it's similar enough in length that the work I've already done won't need to be scrapped.

the slot style meters are nice, its factory equipment on almost all 05+ ford vehicles

why pay $200 for a meter when you can very easily pick one up at the nearest pull a part or junkyard for only a few bucks with the connector?

in any case, if anyone needs a meter and they don't have access to a yard, you can pick one up for $16 shipped to your door from massairflow4u on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160616353270

if that posting has expired contact the user massairflow4u on ebay and tell him you need a sensor for decipha from EFI Dyno Tuning

btw, i have these exact sensors on all 9 of my supercoupes :) genuine ford quality :)

Back