porting the combustion side of your heads

mywhite89

Ok, I know people port the combusion side of their heads. I want to do this being that I am putting together a set of bigger valved heads and I want them to be the best they can be. I would like a bit of information if possible. I can't see just doing this without measuring the CC volume to make sure each cylinder is within 2% of each other or better. Can anyone experienced in doing this and measured cc volume let me know what kind of volume numbers I should shoot for? The heads are going on a 95 sc engine, which from my understanding have slightly higher compression ratio than earlier engines.

I'll be buying the materials this week to be able to measure cc volume, so I will know stock numbers shortly.

Chris

I don't the volumen

But I will suggest not polish too much if u make it shiny it can cause pre detonation. ......;)

But I will suggest not polish too much if u make it shiny it can cause pre detonation. ......;)

I've never heard of this.... I would think polishing would reduce the chance of preignition since there would be fewer imperfections and "outcroppings" that would create hotspots after each combustion event.

However, the more you polish, the more material you lose from the head, so your compression ratio will drop.

I took some of the shrouding back from the valve openings and polished the combustion chamber side of the heads on my car, but didn't get it super-smooth....I was too worried about taking too much material off at the time. :rolleyes:

I didn't cc the chambers, so I can't really provide any advice for you there. :eek:

I'll just unshroud the valves a bit and be done with it. I just want them all to be the same.

Last edited:
Best to get all the valve work done before you start deshrouding etc. When you go to do the work, grab an old set of valves and seat them in so you protect the valve seats.

No polishing is required, just deshroud trying to remove as little material as possible.

Fraser

Back