paint questions

90coug

So I'm about to have my rear bumper painted, it's such an eye soar.

I have the color code TA

Has anybody with this color had paint redone on their car? If so what was your experience and was is pricey? How well did it get matched up? I'm thinking about using the Maaco bumper special, any nightmare stories I should know about?

1fastfowl.jpg

If you like your car, stay far from MAACO.

My DSM was done by MAACO. After repainting it in my garage, and doing a better job than them (my first time), It's pretty apparent that they just roughed up the surface of the paint, and sprayed over that. Orange peel everywhere. Sections peeling. Cracking. No thanks.

Take it to a few shops and get quotes. They're free...

If you like your car, stay far from MAACO.

My DSM was done by MAACO. After repainting it in my garage, and doing a better job than them (my first time), It's pretty apparent that they just roughed up the surface of the paint, and sprayed over that. Orange peel everywhere. Sections peeling. Cracking. No thanks.

Take it to a few shops and get quotes. They're free...

Yea, all I hear about Maaco is stay away, lol I will take the advice.

Please pleaseee stay away from Maaco! Find any hole in the wall body shop, and ask for a quote. Shouldn't be more than $300, but insist on leaving your car there so they can match it to your car instead of matching it to a piece of paint chipping from your old bumper. :)

Good luck!

I had a car painted by macco before, a week later, piant was already chipping away on the bumper. Paid $500 for the whole car to be done but in the end, you really do get what you pay for.

Please pleaseee stay away from Maaco! Find any hole in the wall body shop, and ask for a quote. Shouldn't be more than $300, but insist on leaving your car there so they can match it to your car instead of matching it to a piece of paint chipping from your old bumper. :)

Good luck!

So many people don't like Maaco, I'm surprised they are still in business. :confused:

I found a body shop next to the guy who did my heads, they plan on giving me a quote in the mornin' :)

I had a car painted by macco before, a week later, piant was already chipping away on the bumper. Paid $500 for the whole car to be done but in the end, you really do get what you pay for.

Yea, and with such a crazy color I was wondering if they would even match it right. I'm convinced; I'm not going to Maaco! :p

Yea, and with such a crazy color I was wondering if they would even match it right. I'm convinced; I'm not going to Maaco! :p

Yea, you have the chameleon blue color, very hard for them to match properly, pobably would charge you more just because it is a hard color to match.

to do that bumper you will be looking at around 2k. to do it right. it looks like bumper needs some repair and then it will have to be reprimed and painted with approiate paint (which will cost alot with that color) then they will blend into the rear quarters and trunk lid, and then shoot clear over most of that. you could probably get it close with out blending into other panels but you will always know its been painted.

just trust everyone else and stay away from maaco, earl shive what ever those over night paint places are. i have workd with some people that have worked there and they are right, for 500 bucks they are allowed 1 hr sanding, so three people with scotch brite pads scuff up entire car, thats it, then 1 hr of taping (that is why they get paint all over everything) and then the rest is in paint booth, and drying. any thing done to body is extra, and I mean anything. each rock chip that needs to be smoothed they will charge for, other wise they shoot paint right over top.

have you tried an insurance claim for the bumper?

to do that bumper you will be looking at around 2k. to do it right. it looks like bumper needs some repair and then it will have to be reprimed and painted with approiate paint (which will cost alot with that color) then they will blend into the rear quarters and trunk lid, and then shoot clear over most of that. you could probably get it close with out blending into other panels but you will always know its been painted.

just trust everyone else and stay away from maaco, earl shive what ever those over night paint places are. i have workd with some people that have worked there and they are right, for 500 bucks they are allowed 1 hr sanding, so three people with scotch brite pads scuff up entire car, thats it, then 1 hr of taping (that is why they get paint all over everything) and then the rest is in paint booth, and drying. any thing done to body is extra, and I mean anything. each rock chip that needs to be smoothed they will charge for, other wise they shoot paint right over top.

have you tried an insurance claim for the bumper?

No cracks or damage to the bumper besides flaking paint, that picture could have used some better lighting. I'm still waiting for the official estimate but by word of mouth he was thinking high $300's

Yea, I'm sure it's not cheap. I'm debating how much I really want it painted.

No cracks or damage to the bumper besides flaking paint, that picture could have used some better lighting. I'm still waiting for the official estimate but by word of mouth he was thinking high $300's

Yea, I'm sure it's not cheap. I'm debating how much I really want it painted.
I recently spent $240 to just paint my front bumper black. That's not counting having the bumper prepped at a bumper refurbish place, which meant it needed minimal paint prep. And I didn't need to blend any adjoining panels.

Back