Battery light!

Rezid

My battery light came on today and am pissed! I'm assuming my alternator is out. The odd thing is, when accelerating the light goes off or dims. But when i get to a complete stop or slow down, it comes back on. The more i give it gas and the faster i go the more it dims and fades away. Could this be something else?? Don't wanna spend $150 bucks on a new alternator!

My battery light came on today and am pissed! I'm assuming my alternator is out. The odd thing is, when accelerating the light goes off or dims. But when i get to a complete stop or slow down, it comes back on. The more i give it gas and the faster i go the more it dims and fades away. Could this be something else?? Don't wanna spend $150 bucks on a new alternator!

a) You need to find a competent rebuild shop. Mine locally would do two for that $150 (more or less, depends on WHICH one you bring in.)

b) Make certain the belt isn't slipping. If it isn't, then check all wiring around the alternator AND the battery.

c) Get that battery load tested at a place like Sears or AutoZone.

If it's still acting up, then there's a chance it's just the regulator, which is external (as in on the back), albeit classified as "internal".

RwP

Alternator - replace it...it's time.

Just remember to not use the new one to bring up a dead battery or it will need replacing as well...put the battery on a charger first to be sure.

My 5.0 had this happen and was the positive battery cable. Though I think is the bushes.

I was hearing a weird whistling noise and it wasn't the blower. I checked all the wiring and everything seamed to be in good shape. took it to autozone this morning and got it tested and they said it was bad. Got one ordered, gonna pick it up tomorrow morning. I hope thats it!!

I was hearing a weird whistling noise and it wasn't the blower. I checked all the wiring and everything seamed to be in good shape. took it to autozone this morning and got it tested and they said it was bad. Got one ordered, gonna pick it up tomorrow morning. I hope thats it!!

Hope you didn't order it from AutoZone.

See here and on TCCoA about the long string of defective alternators AutoZone's been selling.

(I'm prejudiced - we have TWO shops in this town that have been redoing alternators/generators/starters since the 1950's ... and do a darn good job of it too! For less than the swap price!)

They can also upgrade your alternator - if there's a 200A version that fits, they can upgrade to that 200A version. Or 130A, or whatever it is.

Tell them you need output at idle, for night usage, and they can handle THAT too.

Typically about $55 to $80 per unit ...

RwP

Replaced alternator yesterday, that was the problem. battery light now off. I did order it from A.Z. Went back that morning after reading on here that they were defective and all the problems everyone has had. I printed the posts from this forum and presented them to the manager of A.Z. He was not aware. He said if i have problems with it he'll refund me my money plus core charge! So far no problems, hopefully none will come to be!!!

Back