Got my SC... Please Help

XR7

Good Day,

Well Yesterday.. .10/22 I got my 89 XR7 SC 5spd.. here are some issues I need some help on quickly.. before I decide to keep this car.. or give it back to the guy..

First off.. Battery was dead... put a brand new one in .. Hoping the dead one has not taken the Alternator out yet..

Second... Car seemed to run pretty o.k... After changing the battery... I took the car for a drive (about 2 miles).. while driving.. I was crossing an intersection... Then all the sudden, the Oil Pressure dropped to zero... check gauge light came on.. then about 500 feet more.. it started to run roughly.. and the car felt like it wanted to die every time I pressed the clutch in...

I pulled over.. shut the car off.. checked the oil.. it was a little low.. but not drastically... I added some... (Oil looked pretty dark though) added a quart.. but the oil pressure will not come back fully... and the car still seems to run roughly... (not wanting to stay running)

was doing a little reading last night.. as best I could in between the fourms coming up... anyway.. anyone think this may be the cam or crank sensor.. or not..

Please help me.. :) I love Cougars.. and now that i finally got a SC 5spd... I want to keep it... and insure it is in great running order...

Happy 36th to me Yesterday hehehehe...

Karl

i had the same problem!!

i have a 91 sc 5 speed and the same thing was going on with mine i pulled the heads after i looked at the cam sen. that wasnt the problem it idled real bad and oil psi was real low the head on the driver side had a burt valve and the pass side was ate up so that might be what is going on with yours.

Oh My

Anyone else..

I would hate for it to be the heads... anyone else have a suggestion?..

I was reading some more...

maybe motor mounts? (of course doesn't explain the low oil Pressure)

Karl

was the car sitting for a long time dead? Did the previous owner change the oil often? In not sludge can build up and block oil galleys causing low pressure. I hope you didn't cause and crank damage continuing to drive it like that.

I did not continue to drive.. took it home asap...

as for sitting long.. yes it has been sitting all summer long.. and not sure how long before summer started..

he put a sign for sale in spring of 2002.... a few kids wanted it but could never come up with the cash... I finally got my hands on it yesterday... 10/22/2002

I have seen some products in stores that you can add to your oil.. and let it idle for like 15 min.. then drain.. and put fresh oil in new filter too of course..

I don't recall what this is called...

one product I do recal.. seafoam.. would that clean the engine oil paths? or not?.. any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated.. If I can clean my engine internally like that.. I can do that tonite.. also I am planning a coolant flush and change tonite as well..

Thanks a milllion..

Karl

You should be careful about the engine flush stuff. In more ways than one it's like pouring gasoline into your engine. There's good ones and bad ones, unfortunatly I don't know which are which. I think I used one called "Engine Flush" or something like that. They really do clean a LOT of the gunk out, but prolonged use of it can damage crap.

After I ran that stuff through I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. I was tempted to try using the Conklin oil my neighbor (back home) is a dealer for. I think each quart was about $10 or so, and he gets them for about $3.

Anyway, just be wary of what engine flush you use and do NOT run it for 15 minutes! Usually 5 minutes at the most is what you want.

Hope that helps.
-Chris

Back