Rear Sway Bar Brackets?

Belisarius

Does anyone else have trouble with these brackets breaking after installing larger sway bars? Are there any stronger aftermarket parts available?

Thoughts?

Neat idea, Doug. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with my rear sway bar/mounts even while autocrossing.

Neat idea, Doug. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with my rear sway bar/mounts even while autocrossing.

I never broke one in 10+ years/100K miles either, using a 1 3/8" rear bar, but enough people asked me to find a solution, so I did. ;)

Does anyone else have trouble with these brackets breaking after installing larger sway bars? Are there any stronger aftermarket parts available?

Thoughts?

I had a bunch of those brackets break on my '97 LX when I switched to an Addco sway bar in the back. Finally talked with a suspension engineer. The cure - CRC StaLube on the rubber bushings. The brackets were breaking because the bushings were dry and turning with the sway bar.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Never had a problem....but I don't autocross. I like the solutions though. Pretty cheap compared to replacing them all the time.

So I called up Bill at SuperCoupe Performance to order the 1 1/4" bushings for the rear bar and he said that Addco doesn't make the bushing but instead reams out a smaller bushing to the new size. I really couldn't believe what he was saying.

I need to know two things. Bill said he's seen bushings from Addco where the hole is off center. If this is right, how do I machine, cut or adjust bushes with smaller diameter so they have a properly centered opening. If it's not, where can I get a properly sized bushing?

Please help.

So I called up Bill at SuperCoupe Performance to order the 1 1/4" bushings for the rear bar and he said that Addco doesn't make the bushing but instead reams out a smaller bushing to the new size. I really couldn't believe what he was saying.

I need to know two things. Bill said he's seen bushings from Addco where the hole is off center. If this is right, how do I machine, cut or adjust bushes with smaller diameter so they have a properly centered opening. If it's not, where can I get a properly sized bushing?

Please help.

The bushings that come with the sway bars are off-center junk.

I posted the answer above....

Can you make the bushings up for the stock 89/90 rear sway bars? I do road course the car, but I don't see any need to change to the addco bar as the 89/90 bar is perfect for the tbird setup and it doesn't need anymore.

Fraser

Can you make the bushings up for the stock 89/90 rear sway bars? I do road course the car, but I don't see any need to change to the addco bar as the 89/90 bar is perfect for the tbird setup and it doesn't need anymore.

Fraser

If there's a correctly sized ES bushing, yes. What is the diameter of the bar?

Back