PDA

View Full Version : Do you REALLY want a BBQ at the Shootout??

SCrazy
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
We have decided to go ahead with a BBQ at the shootout similar to last year but we will also rent a large tent, tables and chairs so everybody has a place to sit and gather for dinner.

I've had a couple people contact me about helping with the cooking but we will also need a group of people to setup tables & chairs, cleanup after dinner (wash pots, utensils, breakdown cooking area, etc), breakdown tables and chairs.

Doing things this way we will be able to keep costs the same as last year but the offset is that the group will need to help out with the logistics and some labor. Please shoot me a PM and let me know if I can count on your help.

I'm thinking of attempting to do a pig roast.....stay tuned we'll see how that idea progresses.

PDQ SC
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd be happy to help if I can make it. Did we firm up the dates yet? (I'm going to the silver state and hope it doesn't conflict)

rzimmerl
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll be a hand for the manual labor of tables and chairs duty.

TSC89
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Brian,

Barring any unforeseen problems getting to the Shootout I can give you a hand with set up and break down.

Quik95SC
08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd be happy to help if I can make it. Did we firm up the dates yet? (I'm going to the silver state and hope it doesn't conflict)

Dates are 23-25 September. Zenia, OH

Plat0ribs
08-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Brian, I've participated in a couple of successful (ultra simple!) whole hog slo cooked events. Built the onsite cooker with a handfull of cement blocks, heavy cardboard, canvas tarp, charchol, and a rack for the guest of honor!

I'd be honored to be part of the BBQ crew and/or set up and/or clean up for the Shootout. Personally this seems to be the best approach as long as you can harness the group to help, produce a quality product and save everybody money. Win, Win, Win!

I PM'd you my cell phone number so you can call to discuss anything you wish.

Oops! The Shootout dates coincide with our Fall Event 'Praise the Lard' BBQ contest in Murphysboro, IL. Guess I gotta make up my mind what I want to do!
I'll let you know in due time Brian.

Ira R.
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I know my way around the kitchen, a campfire, a 50 gallon can cut in the shape of a grill or a smoker. I also know how to manage a kitchen when I'm not cooking and I can empty the garbage and use a sink or a garden hose with the best of them.

I've fed as many as 250 people cooking over a campfire at one time or another and am willing to accept whatever assignment I am given. I'm not sure I can do any of the lift barge tote bail stuff but it also wouldn't be the first time I was up to my shoulders in dishwater either.

Just grab me that day and let me know what you need.

Ira

David Neibert
08-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Brian,

I can help with tables & chairs.

David

Miller
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I'll lend a hand. It should be automatic that everybody helps out. shouldn't be 5 people cleaning and setting up while 80 kick tires and drink deh beer. The more hands, the faster things get done, the more time left, for dah beer and tire kicking.

SCrazy
08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks everybody....I have recieved permission from Jeff at Precision to set up a tent and I'm getting quotes from three different rental places in the area for a 20'x40' tent, tables and chairs. These places will setup and breakdown the tent but we will be responsible for setup and breakdown of the tables and chairs.

The more I think about a pig roast the more I think it could be alot of fun. I have everything we would need (except the pig) I just need to think about the logistics since brining the pig needs to happen 24hr before we start cooking and a pig of 125lbs or so takes 12+ hours to cook. It would mean picking up the pig from someplace local Thursday afternoon, brining and keeping it on ice until about Midnight on Friday, then it takes a couple of hours to get it all trussed up and attached to the spit so it can be ready for mid afternoon on Saturday.

Might need a couple of true party goers who are willing to overnight in Precisions parking lot with me on Friday!!!!

BLOWN38
08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks everybody....I have recieved permission from Jeff at Precision to set up a tent and I'm getting quotes from three different rental places in the area for a 20'x40' tent, tables and chairs. These places will setup and breakdown the tent but we will be responsible for setup and breakdown of the tables and chairs.

The more I think about a pig roast the more I think it could be alot of fun. I have everything we would need (except the pig) I just need to think about the logistics since brining the pig needs to happen 24hr before we start cooking and a pig of 125lbs or so takes 12+ hours to cook. It would mean picking up the pig from someplace local Thursday afternoon, brining and keeping it on ice until about Midnight on Friday, then it takes a couple of hours to get it all trussed up and attached to the spit so it can be ready for mid afternoon on Saturday.

Might need a couple of true party goers who are willing to overnight in Precisions parking lot with me on Friday!!!!

I might be able to be there for that... shew I'll be tired tho. But it should be fun.:)

Ira R.
08-13-2011, 02:55 PM
You know I hate to be the gadfly here but there is a lot to think about before someone runs out and orders the pig. Brian's correct when he says that a pig roast is a lot of fun and they certainly are, if you're a tourist in Hawaii and someone else is doing the work. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head:

First of all, logistics. Are we digging a pit for this? Where is all the prep work going to be done? Do we really have the equipment to do a full pig roast? And who is going to be there early enough on Thursday to take charge of this?

Do not forget the most important part of a pig roast. Once it's done roasting someone(s) with more then just a little knowledge of knives and carving is going to have to play butcher, and big time! It would be nice if they knew the difference between a loin and a hock. If all you have ever carved is a 25 pound Thanksgiving turkey this is not a job for you!

It also means more tables for work space, dedicated garbage, and lots of extra aluminum roasting pans to serve the meat in. Then there's all the clean up Saturday night afterwards and not the usual rinse off the barbeque type cleaning. Pork generates it's own special kind of grease.

And here's something really dumb, but did anyone ask Jeff if he minds or if his contract allows him to dump uncooked food stuff in volume in his dumpster?

Oh, and are we having anything with the pig? Another meat or salad or sides that will require prep work and require extra work space as well?

I am sure Brian has or will think about all of this but I have to tell you that if we're going to do a cook-out steaks, chicken, hot dogs and hamburgers along with the prerequisite side salads and a #100 can of beans would probably be more than enough. Hell call a local butcher and tell him we'll have a truck at his shop Sat morning to pick up the meat, make arrangements for 100 lbs or whatever of various salads and light the grill.

Ira

.shoot me now......

rzimmerl
08-13-2011, 03:13 PM
If a butcher is need to cut up the hog, my dad was a meat cutter for years and might be willing. I'll talk to him this weekend. He works pretty cheap, cold beer and some food after:p.

OxmanWI
08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I agree to keep it simple. Brats, dogs, burgers, chicken, side stuff and tons of BYOB. I've seen the hog roasts and they are a lot of work. Great idea tho, but it's not up to me. Just glad to see this starting to come together!

SCrazy
08-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I have a spit and all the equipment to do the pig roast.....the logistics are NOT a problem. Staffing the thing and Brian being able to actually spend some time enjoying the weekend is the only concern. I have talked with Jeff about doing this and he has no problems with it at all. If I get a couple of people to help out it will be fine.

Last year we did burgers, which sounds easy but the cooking crew spent all day making condiments and salads.

I'm not bitching I LIKE doing this stuff, feeding 100 people is alot of work no matter what we serve. If we get people to help out we'll be fine.

This would be my third pigroast of the summer, help with the carving would be nice. Four people carving can get the job done in 15-20 minutes....one on each shoulder/ham if perfect.

Ira R.
08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Brian, you da'man here. I'm not saying we can't do it, I'm just saying I don't think people realize how much goes into this. I know you do.

Like I said earlier, just tell me what you need. I'm traveling alone and I will have the time if not the muscle. Unfortunately for that reason I also can't help butcher anything that large anymore but I'm still there to help.

Ira

SCrazy
08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ira....I appreciate everything you've said. It will be a ton of work....hopefully enjoyable and rewarding work.

For years DD has come to this event to work on behalf of all of us without a car or participating in any way. That I will not do.....I'm coming to the shootout to participate in every way and to enjoy a weekend with my car and with my friends. I generally enjoy cooking for events like this and so long as I enjoy it then I don't mind doing it.

mellbutler
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
I know hotel info seems to be still up in the air...has anyone ever looked into the econo lodge on dayton-xenia road? It's a few miles west of town. Just thought it could be a nother option.

Matt and I are willing to help anyway we can:)

Ira R.
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Yea well I hate to be a pia again but with about 30 days to go I hope there is a hotel somewhere with enough rooms to accommodate us at this late hour.

Ira

Kurt K
08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Yea well I hate to be a pia again but with about 30 days to go I hope there is a hotel somewhere with enough rooms to accommodate us at this late hour.

Ira
+1 agreed!

mellbutler
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
how many rooms do we usually use

SCrazy
08-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I think hotel arrangements are in place for a block of 40 rooms....we should be all set there.

PDQ SC
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM
I think hotel arrangements are in place for a block of 40 rooms....we should be all set there.

Same place as last year?

SCrazy
08-17-2011, 08:22 AM
it's a Hampton Inn that we've used in the past but I don't think it's the place we were at last year

David Neibert
08-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Dave signed the Hotel contracts this morning (Hampton & Fairfield that share same parking lot) details will probably be posted later today.

David

Jeff Bratton
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Sweet David... We thank you for the update!!

Cat Girl
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I have updated the website with the hotel information. I am waiting on a few details and should have the weekend itinerary finalized within the next few days.
Since i am not a computer wizard, i would like to say thank you for being patient and if you spot any problems, i am probably working on them.....;)

Ira R.
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I have updated the website with the hotel information. I am waiting on a few details and should have the weekend itinerary finalized within the next few days.
Since i am not a computer wizard, i would like to say thank you for being patient and if you spot any problems, i am probably working on them.....;)

For those of us with early onset Alzheimer's can you please tell us where the web site is again?

Ira

neverfastenough
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
For those of us with early onset Alzheimer's can you please tell us where the web site is again?

Ira

www.sc-shootout.com

Ira R.
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks

Ira

SCrazy
08-21-2011, 01:01 PM
If yesterday's pig roast is any indication....shootout chow is gonna ROCK!!!

mellbutler
08-21-2011, 06:47 PM
i hope there will be a second option for food cause that just grosses me out..and no I'm NOT a vegetraian

CMac89
08-21-2011, 09:22 PM
AAaahahahahah!!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Especially whenever I go to the grocery store to buy center-cut pork chops.

BLOWN38
09-13-2011, 10:18 AM
So are we doing a pig roast? So I can plan on when to be there to help.

XR7 Dave
09-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes, the roast is on!

SCrazy
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes definately.

I have a list of folks who volunteered to help and I'll send out an email next week trying to get everyone organized. My plan is to pick up "Turbo" (seems like a fitting name) Thursday afternoon, get him in a cooler on brine and ice until Friday night, on the spit by about 5am Saturday morning which means that we will need to start getting him mounted up and the fire started sometime around 3am.

On friday we will need to make the fire pit which will entail a trip to Home Depot for 28 cinder blocks then stacking those up. If it is cold or rainy or windy we will need to put a popup canopy with tarps on the sides over the pit. I'll bring a pop up but we'll need to get the tarps at HD as well.

kenewagner
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
My plan is to pick up "Turbo" (seems like a fitting name) Thursday afternoon, get him in a cooler on brine and ice until Friday night, on the spit by about 5am Saturday morning

Roasting a turbo is on my menu as well:D:D Love your sense of Humor

Ken

BLOWN38
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I will plan to be up there thursday evening, then. Sleeping in the truck at Precision.:D:cool:

neverfastenough
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm sure I'll be up at 3am sat morning still partying. And I'm also sure I'll be dying to set something on fire. And since you are calling it turbo :rolleyes: a turbo guy should have the honor of sparkin it up.

XR7 Dave
09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm sure I'll be up at 3am sat morning with my hair on fire.

Fixed that for ya.

neverfastenough
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I dont know how well the mullet wig will burn:p

rzimmerl
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I dont know how well the mullet wig will burn:p

Prolly will smoke better then your late night "burnout" last year.

neverfastenough
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
No burnouts this year, got me a new set of tires;)

David Neibert
09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
i hope there will be a second option for food cause that just grosses me out..and no I'm NOT a vegetraian

Mel,

We will also be serving Hot Dogs.

David

kenewagner
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Mel,

David

Considering what a hot dog is made of the pork sounds a lot taster to me:D

Ken

mellbutler
09-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Mel,

David

good:)......

yeah but I don't see a head on a hot dog

shoalcracker
09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
good:)......

yeah but I don't see a head on a hot dog

Are we still talking BBQ.

Paul

Blown347
09-13-2011, 09:36 PM

I agree!!!!! Guess I'll bring a grill.

Dirtyd0g
09-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Are you kidding me? Pig roast rules! As long as it isn't human or animal intended as a pet I will at the very least try it once.
Alan

SCrazy
09-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I agree!!!!! Guess I'll bring a grill.

Chris...if you can bring a grill that we could use that would be awesome and would keep me from having to drag one from Connecticut. Please let me know.

Blown347
09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Chris...if you can bring a grill that we could use that would be awesome and would keep me from having to drag one from Connecticut. Please let me know.

How big of one do you need ? I have a med size charcoal and a 2 burner gas.

I sure don't have a 12 footer like the one you bring! LOL

SCrazy
09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I think the gas grill would be perfect. We are going to do a whole bunch of hot dogs at lunch time and then some more dogs at dinner time for those who are not into the roast pork.

Thank you, this will be a big help.

SCrazy
09-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I suppose I should post up a list of what/when we are planning on doing for food on Saturday:

Soda and Water available all day long on Saturday at Precision.

Lunch (11:30-12:30):
Hot Dogs
Chips

Dinner (5:00 ish):
Roast Pork
Baked Beans
Potatoe Salad
Macaroni Salad
Hot Dogs
Cookies

Evening Snack in Hotel Parking Lot:
Chili

KYSal
09-14-2011, 09:22 AM
i suppose i should post up a list of what/when we are planning on doing for food on saturday:

Soda and water available all day long on saturday at precision.

Hot dogs
chips

dinner (5:00 ish):
Roast pork
baked beans
potatoe salad
macaroni salad
hot dogs
cookies

evening snack in hotel parking lot:
Chili

yum yum!!!

kenewagner
09-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I suppose I should post up a list of what/when we are planning on doing for food on Saturday:

Soda and Water available all day long on Saturday at Precision.

Hot Dogs
Chips

Dinner (5:00 ish):
Roast Pork
Baked Beans
Potatoe Salad
Macaroni Salad
Hot Dogs
Cookies

Evening Snack in Hotel Parking Lot:
Chili

It would be worth coming just for the food:D

Ken

Plat0ribs
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I am so bummed this conflicts with my team competition...

FYI: http://carbondalerocks.com/node/57110

Hopefully next year I can do both! And even bring an SC to SHO off! lol

Hope all goes well and that someone takes loads of pictures for those of us who can't attend.

Social!
Plat0

89XR7TD
09-26-2011, 03:14 PM
We have decided to go ahead with a BBQ at the shootout similar to last year but we will also rent a large tent, tables and chairs so everybody has a place to sit and gather for dinner.

I've had a couple people contact me about helping with the cooking but we will also need a group of people to setup tables & chairs, cleanup after dinner (wash pots, utensils, breakdown cooking area, etc), breakdown tables and chairs.

Doing things this way we will be able to keep costs the same as last year but the offset is that the group will need to help out with the logistics and some labor. Please shoot me a PM and let me know if I can count on your help.

I'm thinking of attempting to do a pig roast.....stay tuned we'll see how that idea progresses.

Just wanted to Thank You Brian and others for all the hard work putting this together!!!!!! Great times n great food n great cars!!!!

Tom Downs

SCrazy
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
It was our pleasure....I'm glad everybody had a good time, I know I did.

I really liked that everybody got to congregate in one place for a couple of hours, have the raffle and awards then sit and eat. I thought this was by far the best banquet/awards night we've had in years. (Good thing Smitty had his flood lights)

I need to thank many people:

Chris Vining
Dawn and James Smith
Kathy and David Neibert
Megan Leitem
Ira Robinson
Jennifer and Steven Oatway
Can't forget all the people involved in the aluminum foil tent construction
plus all of the many many folks who helped set up and clean up I wish I could name them all.....

Not sure what next year will bring but I liked the party tent and I think that worked out well.....a few people suggested a return of the steak & shrimp dinner from a couple years ago....we'll see I guess.

kenewagner
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
It was our pleasure....I'm glad everybody had a good time, I know I did.

I really liked that everybody got to congregate in one place for a couple of hours, have the raffle and awards then sit and eat. I thought this was by far the best banquet/awards night we've had in years. (Good thing Smitty had his flood lights)

I need to thank many people:

Chris Vining
Dawn and James Smith
Kathy and David Neibert
Megan Leitem
Ira Robinson
Jennifer and Steven Oatway
Can't forget all the people involved in the aluminum foil tent construction
plus all of the many many folks who helped set up and clean up I wish I could name them all.....

Not sure what next year will bring but I liked the party tent and I think that worked out well.....a few people suggested a return of the steak & shrimp dinner from a couple years ago....we'll see I guess.

Best shootout dinner since Ive been coming, food was so good, the setup was relaxing and enjoyable. I spent part of the time eating around the fire pit soaking in the heat with others, laughing and joking and just thinking what a great bunch of people this club has. Really wish I had spend some more time talking to you about your car as I wanted to look your setup over more. Thanks to you and all the above named people for their efforts

Ken

mywhite89
09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok, now I'm pretty mad we only made it for Sunday racing. That sounded pretty good. Was it nice out in Dayton on saturday, no rain?

chris

David Neibert
09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok, now I'm pretty mad we only made it for Sunday racing. That sounded pretty good. Was it nice out in Dayton on saturday, no rain?

chris

Yes it was real nice...you really missed a big portion of the meet if you didn't arrive until Sunday. We even had a band playing for us all afternoon in the car show parking area.

David