L E D tail light swap

ghostryder

has anyone did this modification. i want to swap a 92 into a 90. the 90 wiring harness has 6 wires and and the 92 has 5 wires can anyone help me make this work?

You need to swap the trunk lid over as well. The later style won't fit the older style lid.

Fraser

are you saying the 92 trunk lid won't fit on the 90 :confused:
No he wasn't saying that. Your original post suggests that your were thinking about trying to install the LED tail lights, it doesn't say swap the trunk lid.

Anyway, the trunk lids are interchangeable.

There are people on here that have done the swap, so hopefully one of them will see this post and help with the wiring. I know of one person, but he sold his car and I don't think he is on here much.

I did the swap a couple of years ago.

You need: LED panels, corner lights, trunklid, trunklid wiring harness, and your existing harness.

Besides the obvious, you need to either splice the wiring from the new harness to the old plug, or swap and re-pin the connectors from the old trunklid to the new or vice-versa.

If you need help with the actual wiring, I can check it out one evening and draw a diagram for you.

I did the swap a couple of years ago.

You need: LED panels, corner lights, trunklid, trunklid wiring harness, and your existing harness.

Besides the obvious, you need to either splice the wiring from the new harness to the old plug, or swap and re-pin the connectors from the old trunklid to the new or vice-versa.

If you need help with the actual wiring, I can check it out one evening and draw a diagram for you.
thanks for the help i will definately nee help with the wiring!!

See if this helps....

Really, all you need to do is use your old trunk's connector and match the wires up to the female side of the connector. The pictures on the pdf are what it should look like when you're done (sorry about the quality). The wires in both harness should be the same except for possibly the antitheft wiring... I think the old harness has the wiring for the trunk tamper switch, but it's only spare wiring....could be wrong though...either way, I didn't show it in the diagram.

One other important thing to check: make sure that the new corner taillights seal to the body real well. It looked to me like the seals are a little different and don't fit as snuggly on the early bodies. Mine leaked rainwater and fille dup by trunk until I modified the taillight body gaskets. You could check it with the gardenhose.

Attachments

• TRUNK RE-WIRE.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 62
i wired the leds to the 3rd brake light, that way they only illuminate when im stopping, i've done this to all 9 of my supercoupes and everyone that sees it for the first time gets a kick out of it, its a very fine touch IMO i get compliments on it all the time

also, it helps aid those behind you in being much more noticeable so hopefully the dummy behind you doesn't run in the back of you if their talking on their cell phone

i know on my 90s the brake lights don't work with the hazards on, only the 3rd brake light does, with the leds wired in to it, it makes it much easier to observe while the hazards are on, not typically an issue but i figured it was noteworthy

See if this helps....

Really, all you need to do is use your old trunk's connector and match the wires up to the female side of the connector. The pictures on the pdf are what it should look like when you're done (sorry about the quality). The wires in both harness should be the same except for possibly the antitheft wiring... I think the old harness has the wiring for the trunk tamper switch, but it's only spare wiring....could be wrong though...either way, I didn't show it in the diagram.

One other important thing to check: make sure that the new corner taillights seal to the body real well. It looked to me like the seals are a little different and don't fit as snuggly on the early bodies. Mine leaked rainwater and fille dup by trunk until I modified the taillight body gaskets. You could check it with the gardenhose.
yes the 90 sc does have factory anti-theft. looking at the diagrahm the only wires i need to move/splice is the brown and black wire for the leds, is that correct?

yes the 90 sc does have factory anti-theft. looking at the diagrahm the only wires i need to move/splice is the brown and black wire for the leds, is that correct?

If you have the late-model wiring harness, the only thing you have to do is change the connector to the body harness. All the wires are the same size / number / color between the years, but for some reason, Ford changed the connector and re-arranged the wires within the connector. All you need to do for the wiring is either (1) Re-pin your old connector with the new harness (matching the old harness pin-out arrangement) or (2) Cut the trunk-side connectors off both the new and old trunk wiring harnesses and splice the old connector onto the new harness.

It's really simple...but I'm probably making it sound complicated. :eek:

Last edited:
If you have the late-model wiring harness, the only thing you have to do is change the connector to the body harness. All the wires are the same size / number / color between the years, but for some reason, Ford changed the connector and re-arranged the wires within the connector. All you need to do for the wiring is either (1) Re-pin your old connector with the new harness (matching the old harness pin-out arrangement) or (2) Cut the trunk-side connectors off both the new and old trunk wiring harnesses and splice the old connector onto the new harness.

It's really simple...but I'm probably making it sound complicated. :eek:
ok understand now. one other thing though the 90 has a grn/yellw stripe and a brown/white stripe wire

the 92 has white/yellow stripe wire are they not spliced together. also the 90 has factory anti-theft if that makes a difference in the hook up

Alright I'm a bit lost, I have a 91 that I'm swapping the trunk + tail lights on. Do I need the new wiring harness?

Alright I'm a bit lost, I have a 91 that I'm swapping the trunk + tail lights on. Do I need the new wiring harness?

I think it's easier if you do use a late model wiring harness.

BTW, I've assumed that 89-91 harnesses are the same and 92-95 are the same - which might not be the case. I have w/d for the 89 and the 93, and they are what my knowledge is based off of.

ok understand now. one other thing though the 90 has a grn/yellw stripe and a brown/white stripe wire

the 92 has white/yellow stripe wire are they not spliced together. also the 90 has factory anti-theft if that makes a difference in the hook up

I assume you're talking about the trunk wiring harness?

You probably need to find the other ends of each of those wires to figure out what they are...I can't think of what they might be and don't see anything in the w/d's.

If you have a lighted spoiler, maybe there's extra wires? :confused: I'll check my car when I get home.

My 89 has a green/yellow stripe too, but the later model trunk doesn't...apparently the EVTM is wrong again. :rolleyes: But no brown/white stripe wire

My car is currently wired like this:

89 (body harness) 92+(trunk harness - no antitheft switch)
black --> black
purple/yellow --> purple/yellow
green/yellow --> white/yellow
brown --> brown
black/pink --> black/pink

Back