Steering Column: What is this thing?

HelluvaEngineer

I'm still fighting this strange problem with a key that won't turn. I pulled the the ignition switch, the lock cylinder, the plastic bushing, the steel gear retainer, and the brass gear. I can now push the pushrod back and forth. It's not broken.

When I do it manually, I can push it all the way forward. I think this may be the position that energizes the starter. It "clicks". However, I can't pull the pushrod back into the off / acc. positions.

So my questions are:
- Any chance there's something binding it?
- What is the black assembly in these pictures? It looks like this unit may be keeping the pushrod from moving back.
- Is that black thing some kind of transmission lockout?

Thanks, HE

Attachments

• SANY0446.JPG
    SANY0446.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 119
  • SANY0447.JPG
    SANY0447.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 116
Isnt that for the automatic transmission. So that you cannot take out the key if you are not in the right gear ect/?

I dont remember that on my 5spd coumns. I remember a mechanism on the Auto one for the shifter There was a cable ect.

Isnt that for the automatic transmission. So that you cannot take out the key if you are not in the right gear ect/?

Quite likely. It's an auto car. The previous owner mentioned pushing forward on the shifter while in park, but that doesn't seem to help. Personally, if that's it I would rather remove that functionality. I don't want my wife to get stuck in a parking lot because of some stupid safety function.

I want to say there were wires running to it, not a cable, but I could be wrong.

That stupid safety function prevents a person from starting the car in gear. Put the car in neutral and try starting it.

Obviously it needs adjusting which I think you can do at the shifter. I just removed mine with the 5spd swap, and I never had an issue with it.

Fraser

Lame. So I guess this thing uses a steel cable, which is all stretched out after 20 years. I'll take the plastic off the shifter area and look for an adjustment screw or something.

Unfortunately the Chilton manual doesn't have anything on this. Too many column variations.

Back