New and need some Engine Help...

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Hey guys I just recently got my 1st SC but my second bird and well I'm some what formiliar with the 3.8n/a but the SC engine is a new breed to me. Okay anyways..Sometimes the car runs like it has 5 miles on it and it wants to break out of its shell and other times it runs like it's missing and won't even turn a wheel. (Light em up..not stopped). So what could be causing this? Is it some sensor on the motor or is it a plug and wire problem? Usually its fast from about 0-60 and then it starts the sputtering but sometimes its when its at a stop light. When I got the car it had a leaking Vavle cover so I fixed that cus I figured that might cause problems and it would clear things up...nope.

Any help would be great,

Thanks guys.

-Tim

My first guess (for sputtering under load) would be bad plugs and/or wires. And, since you are new to the SC and haven't had the pleasure of changing plugs on one of these beasts (and I use the term beast with all due affection), it is time... Just be sure to use either the stock Motorcraft or AutoLight Double Platinums (no bosch or other cheapo stuff) or you will be revisiting this project far sooner than you will want.

It's really not that bad, once you get used to it. There are several methods. Bets advise is to get a "snubby" ratchet, universals, and some extensions.

Engine Help...

Since this is a new car to you, do some other basics like a new fuel filter and use higher octane gas 91 or above if you can get it. A gas additve/injector cleaner may aslo help. Make sure your cats are not clogged. good luck

Thanks guys.

When I last filled up I put in 93 Octane which Jason Miller advised me to do. Haven't really noticed much of a difference but usually don't after the first time. I plan on changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and plugs when I get some free time this weekend or the next. I'm releived to hear that the SuperCharger doesn't have to come off to do plugs and wires, for that's what my redneck mec. told me was involved. Figured he was full of it but I'm new to the engine so figured it could be true.

As for the plug wire removal what all parts should I take off to make this go a little bit smoother? I know the MAF is a given but what eles. I know on my 3.8 in my 90 it was a pain just to do them without a SuperCharger. Is there a write up on this? :)

Thanks for the comments and advice. I'm glad you guys think it's not something all to serious.

I don't remove anything except the air intake tube that goes from the MAF to the TB. Then I can get to the front (2) two plugs on the passenger side from the top. The back one is reachable from the bottom. The driver's side is best done from the bottom. The passenger side is a pain, the driver's side is a breeze. Invest in a "snubby" ratchet.....worth it's weight in gold for this job..........

Where do ypu live?

Hey Tim,
Where do you live? I know Jason Miller so I am assuming you live in the Washington D.C. area. I live in Northern VA.

Nick

I live in the Roanoke Area...

I'm in Southwestern virginia but I know Jason for the Mid Atlantic Chapter. He's the president for the chapter over on the tccoa boards. Maybe we can meet sometime when we have a meet over that way?

Welcome... Tim!

To the SCCoA and Congrats on the new SC! What made you get a new T-Bird SC, since you were converting your Base Model into one?

I thought your Car looked Sweet since you bought the front and Rear bumpers from me. Got a picture of the two together yet Tim?

How about of just the SC? Any new pic's of your Base Bird since I last seen it.

Let me know if I can help you out my friend? Are you still dating the same girl you were dating when we first met?

Well... Drop me a line Tim!

Later!

Jeff Bratton

Jeff...

The reason I got an SC is because its buy it now on ebay was 1,800 bucks! I had to clean the points on some of the electrical stuff but besides that this car is great. Oh and the ford yellowing on the covers..but hey with some paint no one will ever know the difference. I absolutly love this car! I still love my other one too but I think the folks plan to sell her ;*( That will be one dark day for I've put so many hours of work into that car!

I plan on get some pictures of the two birds side by side when it stops raining and I have time to clean both of them up. That would look totally sweet. The driveway looks nice with two birds in it tho!

Also I'm still with Sheena, it's been 14 months, man time flys. Thanks for the welcome and I'll drop you mail when I need some parts or when there's something come up about half ways.

-Tim

Back