engine screwed up...i think

i_race_tbird_sc

I have a 1992 Thunderbird LX (not supercoupe)
Every morning when i start my car it runs like crap. I have yet to figure out the culprit. I can start my car fine, sometimes it takes more cranking than others, but it generally does start. So....i took it out on the highway this morning, and the tach just went nuts, my engine feels like it is choking, and when i got to a stop sign it died, on an 89 XR7(supercharged) it was doing similar stuff, but did not die, it lurched, my tbird does this much more violently, the xr7 turned out to need a new crankshaft position sensor.

I would like to get the problem taken care of, but i also want a new engine. What is different between the 302 and a 351W....are the blocks both bolted in the same, and would a 351 fit in my car......with what tranny, i have the AOD right now, but it is on a V6....i dont know if it would be any different from the v8 or if i could beef the same tranny up and use it

I would appreciate any help on diagnosing the current problem as well as the new engine questions

Since your car...

Has a distributor, I would check there.

SC'ed v-6's have a camshaft syncronizer for the DIS ignition system. When they go bad the Tachometer goes crazy and the engine has issues. But also check your CPS (crank position sensor)

I think that the 302 and 351W actually have different block architechtures and there for the 351 isnt' a punched out version of the 302. I also think that the 3.8L shares common features with a 351 since it was pretty much the same block design minus two cylinders. I doubt it would bolt up to the stock automatic tranny and you wouldn't want to anyway since the stock tranny couldn't handle the load. Also the stock 7.5" rear end couldn't stand up to much abuse either, that is why V-8 and Supercharged tbirds had the 8.8" rear end.

my v6 is not sc, the XR7 is but not the tbird
the crank position sensor is not the problem, what was that cam thing you was saying

I also used to have a '92 LX. Was having similar problems as well. And, having a 351w available (for free) I was also looking into putting that engine into my bird. However, with the AODE that was in it, I started looking at a T-5 and fuel injection for the 351 as well. All said and done, I traded it in for an '89 SC. Less hassle and a lot less $$! The 351 required modifying the engine compartment and much more. The end result is not worth the $$ and time. If you want more displacement, try a 347 (stroked 302). That'll get you some power and will fit right in.

what problems would you have with a 351
i am going to school for automechanics, and i can use the schools stuff
how much could i get a good 351 for?

First of all, the deck heigth of a 351w is 3 inches taller than a 302, which was available in these cars. The increased deck heigth creates an issue with the clearance of the exhaust headers, i.e. they won't fit without modifying the engine compartment. Also, the increased deck heigth requires a raised hood. Great for looks, but if you want to do it a little at a time, it'll hurt the wallet. Then you run into problems with fuel injection versus carboration. In my case I had a carborated 351 to use out of an F150. Carboration does not work with the AOD as it is controlled by a special linkage that went somehow along with the fuel injection. I didn't look into this too much, other than to realize that I'd need a different tranny. And of course, I still wanted fuel injection. Needless to say, without modifying the engine compartment, I was looking at close to $10k just to get the engine/tranny going, let alone the driveshaft and suspension and brake mods that are needed (in my opinion) to keep the bird safe. I traded it in for the 89 SC with about 1/2 the miles and $3200 and am much happier now. I did spend about 3500 fixing it up and adding a few small mod to it, but I still have about $4000 to hit that 10k spot and I am DRIVING now. I wouldn't be if I were trying to get that 351 into my bird. By all means, though, if you have the $$ and another set of wheels to get you around, I'd love to see what a blown 351w in a 89-97 bird could do. I put a lot of thought and research into and decided it was out of my league. Now I'm leaning towards a SWB with a Coy Miller Stage II engine. Just waiting on the cash flow to show up. I'm sure it'll get here one of these days...

how would a 302 out of an 83 grand marquie work in my tbird, with the engine and tranny going in togerther along with rearend
if i did this i would punch it and buy a 347 stroker kit, beef up the tranny, and use the factory 5.0 efi off the 302

Not sure about the 83 302 fuel injection, but the engine should fit right in with no mods. I think this would be easier and better on the account than the 351. It would be a good set up. You should find a copy of this months Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. It doesn't go into any detail, but Ted Lyons put a supercharged stroked 302 (331) into a Super Coupe. He's running a little less than 600 hp. And he placed 13th overall in this years One Lap of America--the highest ford finish this year. All in all, go for it if you have the cash and time!

Early 302's had...

...CPI (central port injection) IE one or two injectors for everyone. Rather than MPI (multi port injection) which is an injector for each cylinder.

Virtually nothing exists for CPI 5.0L engines. Everything is MPI EFI. You could use the block and heads, but you'd need a different intake manifold that incorporated the injector bungs and then you could go with the fancy injection and all of the associated aftermarket parts for it.....

Back