PDA

View Full Version : Next mods...

Silenced
08-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I've been doing some very cool things with the datalogs on the cougar.

For One, I've plotted my average intake temps vs vortech psi

http://upload.offensivex.com/images/tempvspsi.jpg

PSI (Blue) is in KPA (100kpa = 14.5psi) and temperature is in *F (Red)

From the graph, you can see that pressure starts to rise more exponentially after around 5000rpms. At this same pressure rise, you also notice the intake temps increasing. I find it funny how closely correlated the KPA of the intake, and the temperature are related.

That brings me to the compressor map....

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/maps/s_vs_t-trim_map.gif

I 'Aint the greatest at reading these things, but here's what I get from it... The T trim is more efficient, though, it requires you be at higher CFMs to actually see the gains. Otherwise, you fall off the edge towards compressor surge (Where there's no more room to compress air).

I've got a probably 95% stock plenum and stock 70mm t-body from Jason Jobe, so CFM is probably pretty low. C&L Claimed it flowed about 480ish CFM. From reading the graph, I fall off the 70% efficiency line at around 155KPA... Very close to where I start making considerably more heat...

If I'm reading things right, and I were to get the CFM potential of my motor up (Assuming the plenum is the bottleneck) to around 600cfm, I would be in the efficiency range of the blower up until 170KPA, and total pressure should decrease. This should in effect lower my air charge temperature by 10-20*f, allowing me to run more timing.

There is definitely an obstruction in flow. The car is tuned for a VERY consistant 11:1 air fuel ratio. There's possibly a ~.2 variance at most. When you look at the fueling table, the motor consumes the most fuel at 4600rpms in order to maintain that air fuel ratio.

http://upload.offensivex.com/images/fuel.jpg

I've highlighted the cells that the car directly touches to show what I mean. The car injects more fuel per cycle at 4400 than it does at 6000rpms at 11psi.

My other concern is exhaust flow. I've got Kooks with a 2.5" outlet, but immediately after, is a 2.25 compression bend due to exhaust shop inadequacies. The decrease in amount of air I'm able to get into the cylinders as shown above by the restriction after 4600 leads me to believe that I'm not able to get the exhaust out quick enough.

So now it's time to decide... Do I spend $500 on a good intake tube/plenum setup or do I sanitize the exhaust with some better pipes and cutouts...

ganuolfthegrey
08-18-2011, 01:42 AM
well the plenum i sold ya was lightly ported by joe at harder.

if it was me. i would get a good intake setup cai,new plenum,bigger t-body maybe a 75mm. new hood cause the plenum may not clear.

KMT
08-18-2011, 01:22 PM
>I find it funny how closely correlated the KPA of the intake, and the temperature are related.

Why? More boost/pressure = M\more friction. More friction = more heat.

I'd find it funny if the data showed something completely different :)

Melon
08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
If you decide to do exhaust and go whole new instead of modifying what you want - assuming what you have is what I had ;) - I might be interested in buying it.. You know, for a future V8 ;)

Silenced
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
If you decide to do exhaust and go whole new instead of modifying what you want - assuming what you have is what I had ;) - I might be interested in buying it.. You know, for a future V8 ;)

... Do share

Melon
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Nothing yet.. but with me, you never know haha.

I just remember that I liked the sound of the exhaust and would do the same setup again on another V8 if I got one.

decipha
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
the biggest bang for buck gain you'll get is probably methanol injection, just spray some windshield washer fluid down its throat, that should drop those act's from 170ish to 120ish, even lower to 90ish if it was non intercooled

check out alcoholinjectionsystems.com, they have a kit without the reservoir for $250

Silenced
08-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Lol Those runs are using methanol.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/37433_542914479995_212401823_32196024_1371932_n.jp g

Without it, I see 220* temps. It sucks. I used a #7 nozzle for starters, and it wouldn't atomize/would drown out the spark. Now I'm running a #3.

Here's a vid of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec2b3gIVoBw

A proper system needs a solenoid to let pressure build in the line before it starts to spray into the intake.

seawalkersee
08-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Take the time and make some shortie dump pipes. You may lose a pound or two but that is better than high temps. I would put a vacuum gauge in the intake and moniter it to see if it is actually a restriction. From there...you will know in which direction to go...I will have a bullitt intake for sale soon.

SWS

seawalkersee
08-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah...and why do you not share the other trimmings with us? I wanna see where you are at cruise and all of the other good stuff. I am going to do this with my blow through setup...Thats right, ITS ON...

SWS

Nettlesd
08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Thats right, ITS ON...

SWS

What? Like 15 years from now? :D

Silenced
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
LOL Duane.

Chris, how much and when? You got my #

seawalkersee
08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Actually, turbo is getting balanced now (not sure if that is RIGHT now, but it is in OR at the shop). When I get it back, I am going to get the stuff to build it and make the hot side with the BBK shorties I picked up. With the exception of the hat, I have most of what I need for the engine. I just hope I can find a CV rear end soon.

Intake depends. Need something to run for the time being. I will try to find one of the plastic ones 'till I get injectors and tune for the 2.3.

SWS