XR7-- question

GREATWHITE666

Somethign im not clear about-- the supserharged cougars were only made in 1990 and 1991 right? so whenever i see a cougar with"XR7" does that mean that it's supercharged? in other words-- what does XR7 mean?
also, does anyone know how many supercharged cougars they made?
thanks-
Damon

Actually the supserharged cougars were only made in 89 & 90. The production numbers were:

1989 Mercury Cougar XR7 2,225 automatics, 2,238 manuals.

1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 3,288 automatics, 841 manuals.

Yup 89-90 only, and Mercury made the cougar XR7's sinse the 60's...and the XR7 stamp to the Cougar is like the GT stamp to the mustang.
I don't think XR7 stands for anything, I think somebody at Ford was eating alphabit soup for lunch one day and spit up those three, and thought they sounded cool!

XR7 = Experimental Racing Project #7. It wasn't just something made up. In fact, you can buy other XR vehicles. I believe you can get a Mercury Capri XR2, etc......

Thomas

oh cool,

Ok, my mistake, only 89 and 90. is there anythign different about the engine or internal parts between the SC and XR7? or is the only difference the body style-- thanks for the info!
-Damon

Or how about...

A Mercury Lynx XR5???

No there isn't any mechanical difference between the 89-90 XR-7's and SC's of that time period.

Be wary though since cougar sales were waning in the early 90's, mercury decided to call ALL Coug's "XR7" in 1993. Even a basey base n/a v-6 had the XR-7 stamp on it. Didn't help sales though, people saw right through it.

The 89-90 XR7 cougars are a very rare breed though. Kinda like the 35th anniversary t-birds of 1990. Again no mechanical difference just cosmetic.

AHHH

so since they put "XR7" on all cougars in 93 that doesnt mean that every cougar i see with XR7 on it, is suposecharged.. thats what i was wondering. cool thanks-
Damon

xr7 gas tank

Alright my chiltons book says 89 xr7 with engine code R has a 21 gallon gas tank. It says that thunderbird engine code 4 has it as well.

I know that these books you can't always relie on but does anyone with the xr7 that year know if they have put over 20 gallons of gas in there car. I havn't had a chance to check on my car but I am courious if this is true.

crazy xr7 man

I don't think I can answer the 20 Gallon Take Question... I can say I have a 1989 XR7 SupposeCharged ( ahahhaha ) err.. I mean Super Charged... 5spd... and my owners manual says it's a 19 gallon tank...

I can also answer the first question.. speaking on of 1989 and 1990 Cougars..

All XR7's were Super Charged.. anything other than that, during these two years was called an LS

other years.. like 1991 and 1992 for instance

LS = 3.8 n/a (naturally aspirated)
XR7 = 5.0 I believe..

1993 I am not even sure if they made many if any at all 5.0 and everything was called an XR7 mostly 3.8 n/a

1994 and up.. pretty much all were called XR7, but like someone said.. consumers seen right through it.. oh.. and this year we went to the 4.6 V8 not the 5.0 and also they used the 3.8 n/a and again were all called XR7's

if you are really interested in lost of Cougar history try.. this site

http://www.coolcats.net The guy that hosts the board has taken a break for a few months to update it (once a year thing).. but this web site is very well put together..

This site will also tell about all the XR Vehicles..

Interesting tid bit... it can be XR7 or XR-7 go to coolcats and find out how and why.. :)

Hope this helped..

Karl

You could get a 5.0L XR7 in 1993. Infact, it was the last year the the suspension and wheels got upgraded with the XR7. So, it was still kinda a XR7, but it didn't mean that it had the V8, seeing how you could get the N/A 3.8L. 1994 is when the XR7 meant absolutely nothing.

Thomas

[Hint] Concerning the XR7 as compared with the XR-7, check the chasis [Hint]

Back