Car shut off while driving!!

Rezid

I was driving home from work last night, when my car suddenly shut off on the highway. i pulled over and put it in park and attempted to start it back up, but would not start, car would turn over, but no start. I think it maybe the fuel pump. Any advice, or what i can check before i drop the tank?

first i would turn the key on before you crank it and listen fuel pump should run about 2 seconds . if you dont hear the pump check the inertia switch in the trunk press the button see if it works , mine went bad once had to replace it . if you hear the pump . i would check for fuel pressure fuel pressure regulator could be bad . if you have fuel pressure . check for spark, crank sensor or harmonic balancer went out

thanks
ralph

SC Rule #1. Car dies and will not start - check and make sure the balancer hasn't failed and taken out the crankshaft sensor.

Have a friend help you and look under the hood while you try to start the car. Have him watch the crank pulley (assuming it is still there). Is it wobbling? There is your problem.
Is it missing... there is your problem.
Is the up shift light staying on while you try to start the motor - crank sensor problem.

That's assuming you have fuel pressure.

I checked for pressure at the fuel rail and nothing. Sure enough was my fuel pump. Replaced it, and now good as new.

Back