More brake issues? :(

SCchick3

It isn't my first rodeo with these brake systems but it seems ive lost all of my knowledge and cant seem to find any threads with my identical problem. Motor went in last weekend and got fired up this weekend...took her for a spin around the block and the pedal was sooo stiff i had to downshift, and stand on it with both feet (difficult with a 5speed :rolleyes:)

Not too much longer down the road, my RPMs spiked on my dash (not on my engine) and the check engine light came on. We have a few odds and ends wires that we cannot find connections for, but only 2 are towards my headlights for the temp sensor and such...

Any words of wisdom? I have printed out a few different wiring diagrams to help out but they're impossible to read when half of them are C##/#...If i took pictures of the connections would anyone be able to help get them lined up with there respective plugs?

For the time being, i'm running a code search with a buddy's computer. I would appreciate all the help I can get, trying to get it done for metro cruise next weekend :) Thanks in advance!

hard pedal means hydraulic pump not running.
Could be low fluid.
Could be pump relay.
Could be ABS fuse.
Could be pump pressure switch.

Fluid is easy to check.
ABS fuse is easy to check. It is in the power distribution box I believe.
Relay you can usually check by holding it while someone starts the car to feel if it clicks. You can also check for voltages on the wires.
pump pressure switch is easy. It's a simple switch that opens at a certain pressure. You can bypass with a length of wire in the harness connector to see if the pump comes on when jumped. if so, you need a new pressure switch.

Others could be involved, but that's the main ones.

I think Mikes got you covered on the brake issue. Just to add a bit to it, my friends 89 SC had the hard brake and it was as simple as replacing the worn out rear brake pads and flushing the fluid. If I remember correctly the rear brakes can be bled by simply turning the ignition to accessory and opening the bleeder valve at the caliper. We thought the worst, bad pump, needs ACC ball etc….. What a relief that was, can't believe we didn't check those sooner.

Take some pictures of those connectors; I'm sure someone can tell you where they go.

The spike of the RPM, well this did happen once to me and the fix was the cam sensor. I would start with whatever code popped up.

Best of luck,

Back