70 Ranchero & SC/5 spd?

socalscott

Gotts a 351w 2v w/FMX and 3.0 rr. Sorta spendy to pep it up and I want mpg and drive-ability improvements in the long run anyway.
I believe 3,750 lbs. is already lighter than SC? and then what ever the power train difference is too? winner

With a donor car, I could get a manual, a/c, efi, good mpg, lighter weight, improved handling, seats and more tuning options. Lots of savings here.
Spensin' conversion would be an update, but worth it...meh.

Imagine all that engine room, but imagine the wire loom torture(novice). I've seen a 'simple' wire kit for $650 though...ouch.

I considered a 4.6, but it's fat and heavy. This is the performance I'm shooting for. SC not far off and 300hp wouldn't hurt reliability it seems.

Scot Id go auto and 3.8 SC from a 93 and older SC donar. Someone here may be able to help you with wiring schematics

...and why the auto suggestion?

I've got her set up for the twisties. My Avalon is auto.

I did find an '89 manual donor, asking $850.

You will not be able to use the m5r2 tranny with the rancharo. That will put the shifter at the back of the seat or so...you should measure it to be sure but I think you need a shifter further to the front. I would do it, but I am messed up in the head like that...

SWS

I used to have a 71 ranchero myself and I don't believe the Super Coupe tranny would fit but measure like said before. Honestly you can make allot of power with the 351w and honestly mine bored .60over with a cam and MSD 6AL ignition got around 20mpg on the highway even with lower gears. However I think putting in the super coupe motor would be a sight to see. Let me know when you got it in I might just have to pay you a visit and good luck!!

Dan

Some potential swap issues ... lack of availability of a front sump 3.8L pan to suit the 70s style crossmember (other than 82-83 F-100 pickup with a 3.8, not many built), and the p/s pump may end up very close to the shock tower. I know Pete Roy found these problems when he was looking at doing an SC swap in to his 71 Mustang. He ended up just EFI-ing the existing 302.

cheers
Ed N.

Why don't you just put a 4bbl intake and a 650 edelbrock on there?
That with Tri-Y hdrs. and I was told around 25hp!
I can see a fresher performance 302 from CL as being a better option than a 'combo' on my 145k 351w.

The FMX ain't doin' any good neither. Kinda' peaked at AOD.

M5R2 shifter location? I've seen pics and truck units are forward compared to what I have seen for cars. Just CL pics. I could call a demo yard for that measurement.

Thanks for some good heads-up. Especially the, 'messed up enough to do it'.

what's the difference between a '70 Ranchero and '64 Comet?

There's a guy `local' to me that has done a 3.8SC with M5R2 swap into a '64 Comet

Also the protental of relocating the shifter may not be that bad, specially if the F-150's top plate will work. if not, a remote setup will be able to be done

Last edited:
Truck tranny may work, but measure your setup first. If you really need the measurement, I can get it for you this weekend for the p/u. I can let you know tomorrow for the car.

SWS

I have to relocate my power steering pump to where the A/C used to be, not sure if it will be the same sc pump or a different ford one with a better fitting tank

Any updates on this project I used to have a 71 ranchero and want to get another one and thought this would be interesting to see.

Thanks,

Dan

Back