Is this a safe place to put an aftermarket Temp gauge sensor?

275hptbirdsc

My temp gauge in my dash is on its way out(replaced both sensors) so I went out and bought an aftermarket gauge and quickly found out that the sender is much larger than the stock one. After some looking I installed it in the bleeder tube. Everything worked good no leaks and it the temps on the gauge acted normally and dropped when it was supposed to(thermostat opening,low and high speed fan on) My question is that im wondering if that is an accurate place to put it.

My temp gauge in my dash is on its way out(replaced both sensors) so I went out and bought an aftermarket gauge and quickly found out that the sender is much larger than the stock one. After some looking I installed it in the bleeder tube. Everything worked good no leaks and it the temps on the gauge acted normally and dropped when it was supposed to(thermostat opening,low and high speed fan on) My question is that im wondering if that is an accurate place to put it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I've read that placing it in the bleeder tube can be a problem. Air pockets can form causing an inaccurate reading. However, if it's working than you might be just fine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I've read that placing it in the bleeder tube can be a problem. Air pockets can form causing an inaccurate reading. However, if it's working than you might be just fine.

Air pockets causing bad readings was my main concern, I have since took it out but I plan on driving with it back in in the next couple of days.

The sensor needs to be in an area that has constant flow of coolant around it. Putting it at the top of the bleeder pipe is not an area of flow, so all the temperature you are reading is what the coolant in the pipe gets heated/cooled to.... so you could have a temperature of 230 and rising and it will take 5 minutes or longer for the coolant thats trapped in the bleeder pipe to heat up to that temp, see the problem there?

Fraser

The sensor needs to be in an area that has constant flow of coolant around it. Putting it at the top of the bleeder pipe is not an area of flow, so all the temperature you are reading is what the coolant in the pipe gets heated/cooled to.... so you could have a temperature of 230 and rising and it will take 5 minutes or longer for the coolant thats trapped in the bleeder pipe to heat up to that temp, see the problem there?

Fraser

That was I was thinking in terms of flow, do you know of an alternate place to put the sensor? Am I just better off replacing the gauge?

I've been contemplating an Auto Meter full sweep temperature guage so i'm watching this thread carefully

I stuck the new sending unit where the stock unit was, just above the thermostat housing. Then I ran all new wires. It's an Autometer half sweep electrical temp guage, mounted in the door pillar. Works great!

I'm going to swap out the pax side coolant line to one from a 94 as it has the temp sensor on it for the automatic climate control system, and swap in the temp sensor for a temp guage there.

Just a thought.

Fraser

Back