ok so i broke a motor mount,

thunderbird89sc

Ok so i killed the motor mount, How much damage can i do by still driving her, I think i broke it because, the oil filter is very low, and the motor moves to the right (pass) side when accelarted, How much would a set of these cost and acan i put them in, Never done it before, anyhelp wpuld be great

Your friend
Jobless matt

Carefull...

You could rub through your P/S line and then have a P/S leak, and you can even rub a hole through the oil pan too.

You can do it yourself if your good with tools and stuff, but I wouldn't recommend the job to someone who doesn't work on cars much.

ok so how long does it take to have a shop do it, and how much would it cost in parts, and could someone please give me a step by step on how to do it, or where i could find a step by step, thanks a bunch

matt

Well ...

I'll also be doing motor mounts on my '95 SC pretty soon, so I called Ford to get a quote. I think it was something like $560 for parts and labor. The problem is that this is for the stock, fluid-filled mounts, and I want to upgrade to the solid rubber ones. So, what I'll do is order the solid mounts from mn12performance.com. I'll also install them myself to save money (and because I like working on this car), even though I know I'll spend half a day cursing and throwing a few tools.
Now, about the installation, basically all you need is the right tools, at least a couple of days (just to be on the safe side), and A LOT OF PATIENCE. For some instructions look at these posts:

Post #1.
Post #2.

Now, while you're doing this, make sure you inspect your power steering hoses and oil pan to make sure they're not damaged. Also, do both mounts at the same time, even if one looks to be in good shape. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
On the shade tree mechanic scale of 1-10. with 1 being checking your oil and 10 being overhauling the engine, I'd rate the mounts at about a 7. Its not technically difficult, but you need a few strong tools and patience.
As for me, if I didn't regularly work on the SC, might be worth $500 it to have it done. I wouldn't recommend it as a learning job.

If you're still willing, I can tell you how I did mine. Took me about 8hrs, but thats working carefully. I'll never rush a repair I've never done before myself, I'd rather take longer with something I'm not familiar with than rush it and screw something up.:)

Just did mine - three hours per side.

The easiest way is to remove the acc. bracket from the side you are working on. Then you just need a couple of 6" extensions and a swivel.

You will need a bench vise to remove the mount from the bracket.

Aaron

The stock type fluid filled mounts you'll find from $80-100 ea. You can get a pair of the solid rubber ones for that much. In my case, I only had to replace one, which was on the drivers side, so I bought the fluid filled. My mechanic told me the driver's side is most common, just due to the torquing of the engine. Well, take that or leave it. The other mount was fine though. Mine was completely shot and the engine was lifting and falling back down making a "thunk" sound. Only did it for a day before I took it in, so nothing was damaged. That quote sounds high to me but I don't go to Ford anymore. I had the motor mount replaced as well as both upper control arms for $250 in labor. That was 1 mount, but both arms. Seems like you could do better elsewhere. You sure you need both mounts?

Hey, Bill, I know that quote from Ford is high, but the only reason I considered the dealer was because they have an excellent mechanic who knows a lot about Super Coupes. In fact, this guy used to work on my '89 when I had it, and he pretty much brought it back from the dead. Sometimes you can't put a price on quality work (although I admit it, $500 comes close :p ). I'm pretty sure I can do this job myself, I just want to know my options. Now, I'd like to do both mounts because I don't want to do only one right now, and have to do the other one 3 months down the road. Just preventive maintenance, I guess.

Check the prices at Autozone. I bought the fluid filed mounts for $45/each there.

Please also note that Solid mounts are not a solution for tearing motor mounts. They are simply a solution to keep a torn motor mount from colapsing and damaging the p/s line or oil pan.

If your car is modded, and your torque is up, the only way to protect your motor mounts is to add a torque strap. The mounts are just not designed to hold back as much torque as our engines can generate if they hook up. With stock tires, you don't need to worry about hooking up that strong.

But with wider tires, and extra ft-lbs, it doesn't take all that much to tear the motor mount again.

Torque strap will ensure it doesn't happen.

I'm using liquid filled mounts with a torque strap. I bought a turnbuckle style strap and cut one end off and welded a chain on to get the length I needed.

In tension it sounded like a knocking rod, but that was corrected by adding rubber isolators to the bracket that attaches to the frame. The other end is attached to the back of the drivers side head near the firewall.

It holds the engine tight enough to keep the dbl IC from hitting the radiator (1/4" gap) but didn't stop the 1-1/4 raised top from denting the hood.

This is a picture of the reworked strap.

http://members.tccoa.com/dneibert/Torque Strap.jpg

David

Last edited:
Back