electric oil pump

fasterthanyou

does anyone have any history with using an electric oil pump for their turbo systems? I'm building my turbo setup and I'm liking the idea more and more of using an external oil tank/pump to lubricate the turbo instead of using engine oil. I don't want the hassle of possibly having an oil leak from the pan, damaging the oil pan and having to pull the motor to fix it.

I'm looking on ebay at electric oil pumps but I'm not sure which one to get. what temperatures does the pump need to withstand? how much does it need to flow? etc..

does anyone have any history with using an electric oil pump for their turbo systems? I'm building my turbo setup and I'm liking the idea more and more of using an external oil tank/pump to lubricate the turbo instead of using engine oil. I don't want the hassle of possibly having an oil leak from the pan, damaging the oil pan and having to pull the motor to fix it.

I'm looking on ebay at electric oil pumps but I'm not sure which one to get. what temperatures does the pump need to withstand? how much does it need to flow? etc..

Most of the electric oil pumps I've seen are scavenging type for returning the oil to the motor, not to supply the turbo with pressurised oil. I would not trust a standalone oiling system for a turbo.

If your building a turbo system, putting the drain back fitting into the pan should be the least of your worries. Several people here have already done it, and it's not that big of a deal. I think there is also room to put the return fitting in the timing cover.

If the pan is your big concern, just use a scavenge pump and return the oil to the filler spout on the valve cover.

David

thats actually not a bad idea. would there be any starvation issue with the engine oil by draining it back to the valve covers? I hear that the oil gets frothy/foamy after going through the turbo and could cause oil pressure issues, how realistic is this statement?

thats actually not a bad idea. would there be any starvation issue with the engine oil by draining it back to the valve covers? I hear that the oil gets frothy/foamy after going through the turbo and could cause oil pressure issues, how realistic is this statement?

Yes..it does get frothy and foamy and doesn't flow well, that why it's reccomended to use a 12 AN hose pointed as straight down as possible if going to the pan. The point at which the oil drains back into the pan must also be above the normal oil level or it won't drain into the pan because of foaming. There is also the issue of crank case pressure restricting the flow of oil back into the pan when under boost. Good crank case ventilation usually eliminates the problem.

It won't be an issue if using a scavenge pump and putting the oil back in at the rockers, because the volume of oil used to lube the turbo isn't that great. That's the standard way of draining the oil for all low mount and remote rear mounted turbos.

David

Back