Problem after Sea Foam

tdines

My son put an entire can of Sea Foam into the gas tank and filled with premium fuel. At first the 89 xr7 ran but would stutter if you jumped on the gas. Today when coming home from school, the boost gauge went 5psi and the car would not go over 20 mph. He limped it home and I am looking for a little help to figure it out. The car is bone stock.

Any ideas?

Never had nor heard of that problem with Seafoam before. I've used it in several vehicles and sold it to countless customers.

I would say at this point change the fuel filter and see if that helps. Its possible that there was alot of dirt and nastyness built up in the fuel system and the Seafoam "cleaned" it and it now is residing in the filter. I always recommend a fuel filter change if it the first time using that product because it works wonders when it comes to cleaning a fuel system.

You can use it in the a vacuum line to clean the intake, fuel tank for the fuel system, and crankcase for the engine (though I don't really recommend that on a high mileage engine).

that is highly likely. Sea Foam has components that act as a solvent, and it may have suspended enough gunk that it filled up the fuel filter or worse, the fuel pump sock filter.

Start with changing out the fuel filter.

The fuel filter is mounted behind a shield on the outboard side of the passenger side frame rail. The lines are held in place with 2 plastic clips which you must remove before it will come loose..

Now, and this is up to you... you can tap the thing on the driveway and most of the debris will come out; let it dry out and reuse it. Or go buy a new one. I've done it both ways and never had any problems. :)

Thanks for the replies. I will pick up a filter and give it a shot.

you'll need a tool too. The auto parts store will know what you need. It slips into the coupling and pushes back some metal fingers so you can remove the filter from the fuel lines.

If/when that does not work, find out what kind of pressure you have. Can you rev the engine without a load on it? Like in neutral? Does it shift when you are going to 20 MPH? Does it just rev like there is no gear?

SWS

The fuel filter got me going again. I am now back to the problem that lead to trying the Sea Foam. When started, the car will not idle until hot. I have to sit in the drive way and keep a foot on the gas to keep it running. Once it gets hot, no problem. I will search to see if I can find another idea on this issue. Wondering if the throttle position sensor is bad.

when hot, it will idle just fine? What do you call hot?

has anyone been messing with the throttle stop on the throttle body? Might need to get that back where it should be.

Could be a problem with the idle air solenoid, but need answers to the above first.

If hot idles just fine and someone messed with throttle stop, the next thing to try is disconnect the idle air solenoid while it's idling and see if it dies or starts to struggle. No change... then you need to get the proper adjustment on the throttle stop first. Or if it is adjusted properly, then you have a vac leak somewhere.

The fuel filter got me going again. I am now back to the problem that lead to trying the Sea Foam. When started, the car will not idle until hot. I have to sit in the drive way and keep a foot on the gas to keep it running. Once it gets hot, no problem. I will search to see if I can find another idea on this issue. Wondering if the throttle position sensor is bad.

IAC is my first thought, especially since holding your foot down on the gas keeps it idling.

Could also be a vacuum leak, causing it to lean out enough it can't keep running without more gas (called for by the open throttle).

RwP

It is all fixed up now. Runs like a new car or at least better than when I bought it. Had a big air leak where the intake plenum screws down to the top of the sc. Sealed that and it helped a little. Did some more looking and then remembered the posts on here about the MAF. Without the MAF connected, she runs like a top. I will replace the MAF but it will run well without it for a day or two until the new unit comes in.

A big thanks to all the people on here that are willing to share their knowledge and experience.:)

Back