Broken Throttle Body Linkage - Help

majbird

Driving to work yesterday, I felt the accelerator snap a bit and the next time I took off, it felt like the tranny was slipping. I stopped and found a linkage on the throttle body had broken (explaining the snap feeling on the pedal). Looks like there should be a C-clip or somethning like that on the linkage, however it's missing and I have no idea what it looked like. Attached is a pic of what I'm talking about. Anybody have a pic they could send to me of theirs?? Better yet, if you know the Ford part number or have one you are looking to sell that would be great. Thanks,
-majbird

Attachments

• 0823110620a.jpg
    0823110620a.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 960
The piece that is missing must feel apart. It's kind of a hard rubber piece that the cable presses in and does not have any clips to keep it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 643
That is the TV cable that you have in your hand.....

It connects the throttle body to your transmission....

The plastic clip that holds it to the throttle body had deteriorated and broken off.....

You need to get this fixed ASAP or you risk damaging your transmission...:eek:

Ford makes a brass replacement part that comes with a metal retaining clip....

I don't remember the part number off the top of my head, but I have a few of them at my shop....

Ed's right - replace asap! That is the first thing the transmission shop would ask about if you took it your AOD car to them with problems.

The brass one is 100x better - easier to remove/install too.

The brass one is 100x better - easier to remove/install too.
Until you drop the little Jesus clip down on top of the intake......:mad::mad::mad:

Only did it once.....:p

Every white TV cable retaining clip that I've seen has been broken......

Ford did make a black one and it seems to hold up a little bit better, but the brass one will NEVER fail....:D

Until you drop the little Jesus clip down on top of the intake......:mad::mad::mad:

That would be the one downside! I dropped one and it fell in some grass beneath the car...that was fun to find.:rolleyes:

I made a replacement out of some plastic rod once...that worked well too. Can't say that I ever felt really comfortable with it though.

Driving to work yesterday, I felt the accelerator snap a bit and the next time I took off, it felt like the tranny was slipping. I stopped and found a linkage on the throttle body had broken (explaining the snap feeling on the pedal). Looks like there should be a C-clip or somethning like that on the linkage, however it's missing and I have no idea what it looked like. Attached is a pic of what I'm talking about. Anybody have a pic they could send to me of theirs?? Better yet, if you know the Ford part number or have one you are looking to sell that would be great. Thanks,
-majbird

Replace the missing grommet with a Brass bushing and clip, Ford part # F3SZ-7H303-B.

attachment.php

David

Attachments

• 10142-AODtvbushing.jpg
    10142-AODtvbushing.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
I got the bird home and parked it. Not moving it until I get the brass part. Thanks everyone for the help. much appreciated!!

You have to love the search feature!

A big thanks for this thread. It saved me $180. I went to the dealership looking for this part and was told that I had to order the entire TV cable @ $190. Of course I said let me go home and do some research.

I found this thread and went up back up there with the part number mentioned in this thread and for $10.77 I am back on the road.

I am glad I used the search feature instead of starting a new thread. Thanks GUYS! If it wasn't for this site I would have sold my two SC's a long time ago.

Ahhhhhh Thank you!

Love the search forum!!!! Been using a rubber o ring for awhile but
putting on an 85mm n don't feel comfortable!!!!

Tom

And one other comment. When you get the brass coupler, GLUE it to the throttle arm. Otherwise, like ed, me, and so many others, you will curse when the thing falls off and gets lost. :eek:

Last edited:
A big thanks for this thread. It saved me $180. I went to the dealership looking for this part and was told that I had to order the entire TV cable @ $190. Of course I said let me go home and do some research.

I found this thread and went up back up there with the part number mentioned in this thread and for $10.77 I am back on the road.

I am glad I used the search feature instead of starting a new thread. Thanks GUYS! If it wasn't for this site I would have sold my two SC's a long time ago.

They told me something like that too, back in 1998! And the guy at the dealership couldn't (or wouldn't) find the upgraded replacement grommet kit in the catalog. I needed to get my 1989 base model Crystal Blue Metallic Thunderbird back on the road, so I cut up a Bic pen for use as a plastic sleeve, poked a hole through it, and used a paperclip as a safety wire. I gave the car to my uncle in 2002, and I think that stuff was still on there. I honestly think it might have still been on the car when my uncle died in 2011. :confused:

That is the TV cable that you have in your hand.....

It connects the throttle body to your transmission....

The plastic clip that holds it to the throttle body had deteriorated and broken off.....

I don't remember the part number off the top of my head, but I have a few of them at my shop....

Do the 94 95 supercoupes also have this linkage? After looking at this thread, i went to look at mine and noticed mine is missing. The bracket is there where it goes through but dont remember my car ever having it. When i replaced my exhaust manifolds i nearly stripped the engine down to the block and dont remember ever seeing something unhooked or similar to that linkage. Now im worried. Where does this hook up to the transmission or where does it run to?

Do the 94 95 supercoupes also have this linkage? After looking at this thread, i went to look at mine and noticed mine is missing. The bracket is there where it goes through but dont remember my car ever having it. When i replaced my exhaust manifolds i nearly stripped the engine down to the block and dont remember ever seeing something unhooked or similar to that linkage. Now im worried. Where does this hook up to the transmission or where does it run to?

That was the AOD you have a 4R70W.

My TBird had this issue when I bought it... Went to Ford and they sold me the brass piece and clip. They said its also a part on the Town Car and the Mustang. I made a temporary fix with a piece of wire.

Back