jackstands

I place the front on the k-member (curled lip just below the oil filter) spaced as far as possible.

The rear, I like to use the subframe "boxes" just inside where the control arm pivots, behind the differential.

My favorite spots are under the control arms on the back at the bend on the spring cup (you have to account for the movement when lowering the car onto the stands). On the front, my favorite spot is under the K member as close to the lower control arm mount as possible. This gives me room to get around underneath easier.

Everybody has different opinions. :D Here is where I usually place them on a MN12.

jackstands.jpg

thanks that pic is very very helpfull. does it matter which end you jack up first?

Not really, but when I'm doing 4 wheels, I do the side away from the parking brake first (so far, every car that's the front, but eh.)

I ALSO chock the side that's staying down so it won't roll while putting it up on the jack stands.

Since my driveway is inclined, I do the lower end also (on the Cougar, I back in).

RwP

one more question. where do you put the jack to jack it up and not do any damage to the underside?

Good question.

If you have a big enough jack, under the K-member in front and the rear diff bracket in the back works well.

What !I! do since my jack is a 2 ton, is jack up right by the front mount for the rear subframe, and put the jackstand on the said mounting cup. For the front, I carefully space back far enough from the double-thickness at the front of the back subframe rail (on the filter side, there where the plastic cover is) to clear the jackstand, then put the jack there on the rail

This is probably not the best place, but it works for me.

RwP

I generally use the frames near the k-member up front and I have a 2" sq (thick wall) with notches with flats welded in them that goes under the IRS mount. The jack in the center and the jack stands on the outsides.
MikeH

Up front I go for the center of the K-member when I can get it (my car is lowered 1.5"), else I go for the structure that the strut rod goes into. In back the Diff bracket. I have a 2 3/4 ton floor jack.

Back