muffler/exhaust setup

philliescoupe

so after reading about 20 pages of exhaust posts this is where i'm at...the other day my exhaust from the resonator back fell apart. i am currently just running stock cats to the resonator and thats it. dont have alot of money to dump into it right now and i know those stupid stock cats are no good. so what i was thinking off doing was gutting the cats, putting a magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator and then running a single 2 1/4 pipe to behind the rear then split into dual 2.5 out the back.. any thoughts on how that would sound? any input appreciated. also the car is a 89 sc thanks everyone!

Keep the cats, don't be like the other ~~~~~~~s who cut them out. Or get better flowing ones.

carfumes.GIF

Keep the cats, don't be like the other ~~~~~~~s who cut them out. Or get better flowing ones.

carfumes.GIF

I cut mine out, so what are you saying???

Philliescoupe: It will drone you in to insanity. Replace the crappy resonator but put a set of stock SC mufflers back on in the rear and enjoy the silence;) The stock SC mufflers will flow well as they are designed with a suppercharge car in mind

Ken

I cut mine out, so what are you saying???

Philliescoupe: It will drone you in to insanity. Replace the crappy resonator but put a set of stock SC mufflers back on in the rear and enjoy the silence;) The stock SC mufflers will flow well as they are designed with a suppercharge car in mind

Ken

Okay, I think it's fine if it's a race only car. But daily drivers should have cats to keep down the emissions. IDK, I like breathing easy

thanks for the responses guys!
i wanted to keep everything quiet as i love the blower whine (who doesnt) but my stock mufflers completly rusted out as well as the pipe coming out of the resonator. i am deff keeping cats on the car but want it to flow better, i cant afford high flows or any expensive exhaust setup right now. but hate the way sounds now with just the resonator.... i have heard of people just running a magnaflow or borla muffler as a resonator and running duals out and figured that would be a cheap alternative. really really dont want to sound honda-ish or anything like that either

Keeping/ adding cats almost quarantee's emissions as the state programs evolve.

Nothing worst that a hack and wack on good stainless cause you've failed the new standards.

$x2 as an add on.

Paul

keep the cats, get a flow master resonator with pipes straight back. or i guess you could just have a muffler shop run pipe from the stock resonator back but it wouldn't sound as nice.

cut out the resonator and have a (y) pipe put in and go with some dynomax turbo mufflers,sounds great and opens up the flow better too!:D

Back