Air Dam Install, With Pics

B

Bob Pringle

Air Dam Install, With Pics

The air dam is GM P/N #22635885. It fits the ’92-‘98 Pontiac Grand Am and it costs about $16.50. It's 3 inches high and leaves about 4 inches of ground clearance when installed on my stock height '93 SC.

There are 4 holes in the flange of the air dam; let's call them #1, #2, #3 and #4. Drill a 5/16 hole in the flange midway between #2 hole and #3 hole. Then using a rat-tail file elongate #2 hole about 1/4 inch toward #1 hole and elongate #3 hole about 1/4 inch toward #4 hole. Using 3/4 inch long 1/2-20 screws, washers and Nylock nuts in holes #2, #3 and the new center hole, secure the air dam to the bottom of your front bumper cover using existing holes in the cover. Drill two new holes in the bumper cover coinciding with #1 hole and #4 hole in the air dam. Again using 1/4 inch long 1/2-20 screws, washers and Nylock nuts secure the ends of the air dam to the bumper cover.

Here are the pics:

39919007BHqXMb_ph.jpg

39919472wIIAoR_ph.jpg

I'd be glad to supply any additional info that I can. Vern supplied the info about the Pontiac air dam, by the way.

Regards,
Bob P.

Re: Air Dam Install, With Pics

Bob,

Sounds really interesting. I'd love to see those pics. Would you email them to me, please? I wasn't even able to access them via the links. Access was 'prohibited'.

Thanks,

Sean,

If you copy the link into the address bar of Explorer, and then add "www." in front of it, it'll work.

I've opened the original post several times, and one of those times the pictures cam through! This internet is a weird and wonderful thing!

Regards,
Bob P.

Here's another trick for viewing the pictures:

Right click on the little box with the red "X" in it and then, in the menu that appears, click on "Properties". A window appears that contains the web address of the picture. Copy that address into the Explorer address bar and press "Enter". Voila! The picture appears.

Regards,
Bob P.

Hey Bob, great job! :cool: I have the air dams so I'll do the install following your instructions shortly. Actually, I bought two pieces per Vernon's article. Do you have any idea how they should look installed? One behind the other is it? Anyway, that's weird how once you cut and paste the address for the pic, the picture appears in the post when you return to it...

Joe,

Yeah, that's wierd, how both pictures appear when you come back to the post.

I did install the second air dam. I trimmed the vertical side to a height of 2 inches, using tin snips. The I cut about 6 inches off each end of the part. Again I drilled a 5/16 inch hole through the mounting flange in between the two remaining holes in the flange, and elongated the other two holes as I had done in the first dam. I mounted this part above the first one with the bumper cover sandwiched in between, this time with the mounting flange facing forward. The vertical side fills the gap between the lower radiator support and the bumper cover.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Bob P.

Thanks Bob, you rule. Can't wait to get hooked up!

If you make a 60 degree angle with the horizontal (or make the angle of the peice itself 120 degrees instead of 90) you will get alot more airflow. Or is it plastic?

can't see the pictures

Could somebody post the pictures, I can't get them to work.

Thanks,
Nick G.

Re: can't see the pictures

Nice work Bob, now that I see how easy it is to install I'll be doing the same thing.

David

Anybody know how this install would go on the 94/95 front bumpers? Anyone done it?

Dale

Here are fixed links i hosted at my site:

airdam1.jpg

airdam2.jpg

Re: whats it do?

It directs more air up to the radiator to provide better cooling for the engine coolant.

Dale

I did this mod yesterday and used the old spoiler inside the nose panel to fill the gap between the new spoiler and radiator, it works so good on the freeway no need for the fan. coolant temp is 180 all the time and trans temp is 160 only need fan when i come off the freeway to keep it CooooooL:D

Back