Avoided a Near Disaster Today....

ecyrbh

Everything has been great with my 91 ever since i put it back on the road.Granted,I've had a few issues in the 24K that has been racked up on the complete overhaul,but nothing serious.
So today its time for an oil change.My son and I get the car up in the air on jackstands,and gather up the wrenches and drain pan.We got the oil drained and plug tightened (Yes,I double checked it after he moved out of the way),and I proceeded to remove the oil filter.I told him it can be a pain in the @$$....Well,as I loosened the filter I noticed it was taking forever to get it off....Thats when I saw the oil coooler move....The threaded adapter was loosening as the filter was coming off....Oh my god...
So I sent my wife off to AutoZone the get the cheapest oil filter they had,just so I could rob the gasket off of it.I left the coolant hoses attached to the cooler,cleaned up the gasket groove,and put everything back together.I'm just glad the coolant hoses were flexible enough and still fresh,not to mention that the cooler gasket came off in one piece.
Man,I can only imagine,What if I had taken the car to someone and had the oil changed,That it would have been possibly overlooked and what the final outcome I would have on my hands.
So,a word of advice here guys...When you change your filter,Check the adapter for tightness...I'm sure this has happened to other people as well,but just don't take it for granted....

So,a word of advice here guys...When you change your filter,Check the adapter for tightness...I'm sure this has happened to other people as well,but just don't take it for granted....

Good advice. if someone goes ape on putting on an oil filter, it is possible to un-thread the adapter.

WOW I never thought that would happen. I always hand tighten my filters and I've been told I have good torque ;).

I did the same thing pulling the filter off the engine I am rebuilding. When putting the new gasket on, I made sure to get the nut pretty tight. Probably a good part to loctite the threads a bit if you can actually get all the oil off!

Yeah,if it happens again,I'll definately do something..For now,I' ll have to remember to get out the 1-1/16 socket out along with my filter wrench...

Back