Some Assembly Required

nscmd2b

I have a new long block engine from Super Coupe Performance including a Felpro gasket set. What I wanted to know is if I should use RTV black on the intake manifold gaskets or the timing cover gasket. I bought it for the oil pan but have plenty to use on any thing else that needs it. Probably will put some on the water pump gasket and thermostat housing gasket. I know the valve covers are installed dry with the special new silicone gaskets. The timing cover gasket is steel with a silicone sheath or layer covering it so I asume it is installed dry as well, but not sure. Can anyone with previous experience please shed some light on this subject. I have a Hanes manual for the torque specs but am also considering using some products on the bolts. Does anybody have any product suggestions for these particular bolts in question (ie thread lock, RTV, engine oil) for the Intake manifold bolts, Timing cover bolts, water pump studs, oil pump bolts, MANY THANKS I AM READY TO ASSEMBLE IT

Last edited:
for intake manifold bolts, search. There is a thread out there kinda long that talks about torquing and a couple with some part numbers, one from mcMaster and another from ARP.

Flat gaskets should have some sort of gasket improver. I.e. for the water pump gasket i used blue rtv. Any gasket with a built in elastomer ridge, should be installed dry. Black rtv goes on the union of the intake manifold and head and block. Cut the heads off the old intake manifold bolts to make studs to help you align the intake manifold when you lower it on.

The thermostat housing seal is tricky. It could likely be the most frustrating assembly that I've done. Make sure you let it set up good before running the car. My last attempt I let mine setup for 3 days :p. It hasn't leaked in 4 years... :D. The others should be easy. I've done a water pump and mine didn't require anything special that the book didn't specify.

thermostat covered

Years ago, it took a second try for me to seal up the thermostat housing. I think that I can now get that right and have that covered. Its the timing cover gasket that came with the felpro kit. I want to know if it just goes on dry. I do also think I might need something on the manifold gaskets around the water jackets but not sure. I agree that I need RTV at the points the head block and intake all meet together at the ends of the end seals. RTV on some bolts or maybe at least the studs for the waterpump? I don't know.

Cut the heads off the old intake manifold bolts to make studs to help you align the intake manifold when you lower it on.

I like that idea....:cool:

I've had at least 3 SCs in my shop that had leaking intake gaskets just after their owners installed them....

Using this stud method allows the intake to be lowered straight down on the block with minimal movement....:D

Don't forget thread sealer on the long bolts that go through the water pump and timing cover into the block.

-Chris

i always you rtv silicone on just about all my gaskets

the timing cover i put a nice thin layer and put it on..

the intake i put a layer on both sides of gasket around the water ports and then a nice amount in the corners where the head meets the block and the intake meets that spot..

When You install and tighten intake manifold bolts with silicone,leave it over night and re tighten bolts next day to make sure that they are tight enough.

Back