Poorly made door handles.

Drummer

Has anyone figured out, aside from buying a new panel, the issue with the door handles ending up basically coming apart on the inside and pulling out? Something like a retrofit of something to hold it in place without using screws that show on the handle? Mine is a 90 and I use the small door storage area to hold on to to close the door. Anyone??????:confused:

JB Weld works wonders to glue this area back together. Did mine a while ago and still holding fine.

Sand the area where you are applying JB Weld and clean with alcohol or brake parts cleaner to remove all residue to get the best adhesion.

I'm also making a set of re-enforcement braces to go into my doors, to help spread out the stress.

Amazing what a metal rod bent in a "Z" with a hole for the mounting screw can do ...

RwP

I'm also making a set of re-enforcement braces to go into my doors, to help spread out the stress.

Amazing what a metal rod bent in a "Z" with a hole for the mounting screw can do ...

RwP

This is kinda what I do...anchor it in a couple of places on the plastic, then put a screw through it into the door. I just use a thin piece of steel or aluminum and bend it to shape. If you have the metal laying around, it should only take about 5-10minutes to get your tools out and actually do it. I don't even know when I did the first door...4-5 years ago I think.

Last edited:
This is kinda what I do...anchor it in a couple of places on the plastic, then put a screw through it into the door. I just use a thin piece of steel or aluminum and bend it to shape. If you have the metal laying around, it should only take about 5-10minutes to get your tools out and actually do it. I don't even know when I did the first door...4-5 years ago I think.
Same here. Ive done this on all my SCs.

RwP
I'd like to see that.

I'd like to see that.

Flat rod - next time I take the door out (still need to redo the power window motor and do the Taurus autodown modules), I'll take some pics.

Need to make one for the passenger door - might just take a few pics of that also.

RwP

Flat rod - next time I take the door out (still need to redo the power window motor and do the Taurus autodown modules), I'll take some pics.

Need to make one for the passenger door - might just take a few pics of that also.

RwP
That would be nice. A picture says a thousand words.

Back