How long does the factory fuel pump last?

275hptbirdsc

I have a 92 with 80,000 miles on it and im getting ready to put some mods on it and I heard the factory pump is really wimpy when it comes to supplying enough fuel but a replacement works pretty well. Ive owned this car for a year after it sat for two years and have never had a problem with the fuel pump so im figuring it was replaced in the past couple years. But honestly though it wouldnt surprise me if it was factory since when I got the car it still had the factory radiator hoses and thermostat:eek:

It is really on a pump per pump basis to my understanding. Some last hundreds of thousands of miles, while others check out quite early on. Either way, the factory pump, as you put it, is puny and entirely inadequate for even a stocker. So with upgrades? 255lph is a good choice, alongside a new set of 42lb/hr or larger injectors and a complementing intake. From there you can safely run just about anything.

207,000 miles on my stock fuel pump. Mostly highway driving of course and never let the car run low.

You fuel pump will work until - it doesn't. Pretty profound I realize, but there's more truth to that than you think. Most people never realize that their pump is failing until it completely quits which tends to happen at an inopportune moment. Suffice to say that they don't last this long reliably.

Most people never realize that their pump is failing until it completely quits which tends to happen at an inopportune moment.
They will usually get rather noisy before they give up. When you notice that you seem to hear it all the time, its time to replace it. Its an annoying moan from underneath the back seat.

So how much trouble is it to install a 255lph fuel pump? Other than dropping the tank/cutting a hole in the floor what else do you need to do? Is it drop and go or is there other things you have to do?

Dave, as usual is correct. I have 200K on my factory pump, but it seems like I am losing power now when the temps are up outside, and then I have to prime it to start. You (USUALLY) can prolong the life of the pump by regularly keeping the tank above the 1/4 mark, which keeps the pump cool.

That being said, if you are going to do any sort of good mods, put in the 255 and don't look back.

SWS

My pump went out 3 weeks ago at about 180,000 miles. Had engine rebuilt at about 120,000. I started to noticed hard starts and loss of power due to low fuel pressure. i ignored it, which was a big mistake because it gave out on the way home from work on the highway. Had it replaced, now runs strong again!

My stock fuel pump was still working good at 170,000 miles but then I payed a local shop $275 to install a 255lph fuel pump cause I'm switching to E85.

Back