How to improve SCs without the SC...

Plat0ribs

I've pulled the belts off the supercharger of my 92 5-speed. I hope this won't cause any adverse effects, please advise if you think/know otherwise.

I'd like to know (or discover) how to improve the performance of the NA 3.8 without removing anything except perhaps some aluminum vis a vie porting the bypass, and the belts driving the SC. Looks like a 1.5" port...

If anybody has done any work along these lines I'd appreciate your feedback.:)

PS: I know this is stupid, but if I don't delete the SC I'm going to get a speeding ticket...

...and get 10+ MPG...

Last edited:
having the sc or not will not keep you from getting a speeding ticket.

i can get a speeding ticket in anything if i choose.

it's called be responsible and dont speed,it's a choice that you make. not the cars fault.

Well thanks guys thats exactly the information I needed...:rolleyes:

But this is the bypass right? Probably a little more restrictive that even the NA 3.8s...

NAbypass001.jpg

Last edited:
Without the SC hooked up, it's just a 4,000 lb Taurus. You then run the risk of being hit from behind as you limp away from a red light.

Learn how to drive it like it is or as suggested, sell it and get something else...like a bicycle.

or you can get one of the guru's around here to send you a chip, that way anytime you apply more than half throttle the engine stalls until you raise off the pedal

its an alternative

if you need more n/a performance, you can always big valve and port the heads, should be good for a 40hp gain on all engine, cam would be another 15

Are you sure your thinking this through?

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but why would you remove the biggest part of this cars performance and than ask how to make it perform better?

I mean, if all else fails cant you just get a "valet" type chip that limits speed and throttle response, rather than deleting the S.C?

Its an SC, just drive it the way it is and the HG will blow. These cars don't take abuse well with high miles and stock exhaust. On a side note ~~~~ the police ;)

I've pulled the belts off the supercharger of my 92 5-speed. I hope this won't cause any adverse effects, please advise if you think/know otherwise.

I'd like to know (or discover) how to improve the performance of the NA 3.8 without removing anything except perhaps some aluminum vis a vie porting the bypass, and the belts driving the SC. Looks like a 1.5" port...

If anybody has done any work along these lines I'd appreciate your feedback.:)

PS: I know this is stupid, but if I don't delete the SC I'm going to get a speeding ticket...

...and get 10+ MPG...

You don't need to port the bypass valve, just put a zip tie on it to hold it open at all times. The car is going to be a slug without the supercharger, and if your going to stay NA, you would be better off installing a long runner 3.8 NA intake manifold. It's still going to be more of a dog than a 3.8 NA Tbird because of the lower compression.

If you want better mileage, just keep your right foot out of it.

David

The bypass is not the only source of air when not in boost.... air still comes in from the supercharger side of it, and taking the belt off isn't going to make any difference in that regard except with the possibility of creating a vacuum in the IC tubes if somehow the SC has completely blocked the air and that will further reduce the air going into the manifold.... No amount of porting the bypass will help.

Get yourself a bicycle of you can't control the right foot :cool:.

Fraser

Back