Sc sitting for 2 years

pickel69

My 1990 sc has been sitting for 2 years due to broken balancer and no money to fix but now I got the money together bought a bhj and under drive pulley set ready to start it back up again but was told since it has been sitting for so long I might have to prime the oil pump or something can any one tell me the steps I need to take to start it don't want any problems had to many as is thanx to all who respond

Just changed the oil 10 miles before the balancer broke for the third time but thanx I'll fire it up tomorrow

If you hold the gas pedal all the way down when attempting to start, the computer will shut off all injectors and the engine will spin but not fire.

This can help to build oil pressure first, then start normally.

If you hold the gas pedal all the way down when attempting to start, the computer will shut off all injectors and the engine will spin but not fire.

This can help to build oil pressure first, then start normally.

Now that's some great info I didn't know! Some of these SCers are so dam smart!!! :)

been sitting for so long I might have to prime the oil pump or something
I looked into this when someone gave me my car. You would have to make your own drive adapter if I recall correctly.

At any rate, I think this is more important on a new engine with nothing but assembly lube on it where you may need to crank it a bit before it fires (and even then probably not that critical).

I think it would be a good idea to prime it. On the other hand, you may not have that much to lose.

Priming it is pretty easy, but you have to make sure that you align the cam synchro correctly after you do it. The easiest way to do it is to take the cam synchro out, then remove the hexagonal drive shaft from the synchro. Put the drive shaft back in and spin it with a speed-wrench, 6" extension, and a hex socket that fits (5/16" or so). (I forget which direction it should spin.) You should feel some resistance as pressure builds. Then take the drive shaft back out (you have your pickup magnet handy, right?) and put it back in the synchro. If you noted the position of the cam synchro vane relative to the engine before you took everything apart, and you didn't turn the engine over with the synchro removed, then you can just put the vane where it was before, match the synchro housing to the block with the witness marks it left, and tighten it down.

The idea KMT listed is a decent halfway step. At least it won't fire with no oil present in the bearings.

I would still change the oil. After sitting for so long oil will break down. You don't have to but I would recommend it.

Back