Amp wire on wiring harness for premium stereo

Breadsax

I'm not getting any sound out of my four speakers that are connected to the stock amplifier. I bought a wiring harness from Best Buy and there's a blue/white one for amp turn on. I also connected this one to the one from the deck and have no sound from any of the speakers. I thought it was my other deck causing this problem, but just bought a brand new deck. Before sound would cut in and out, so I thought a wire might be loose or maybe my stock amp is shot?

By the way this is the JBL premium system in SCs, not sure if there's a difference from premium systems.

Which harness are you using for the line out from the head unit?

Also, you may need to use the "Antenna" output - the older amps require a 12V turn on, newer ones require 5V - your head unit may not be supplying a high enough voltage to turn the rear amp on.

(The "Antenna" output from my 1995 head unit is what I use for my 1991 vintage JBL amps so that I can get audio out. The 5V output that the 1995 head unit provided yielded no audio.)

RwP

That's right, that's what I did before to get the amp to power on. I still can't figure the problem with it cutting in and out. I can sit there without moving anything and the sound from those four speakers cuts in and out as I lose and gain power from the amp. Is the power antenna wire the only one that will supply enough power? I'm guessing red ignition switch does not supply power, only the yellow battery constant and that won't work unless I want a dead battery.

I just answered my own question, ignition switch wire worked great. I'm guessing the power antenna from my Alpine also didn't supply enough juice or I had a loose wire from cramming the wires into the small area we have in early model SCs. Especially with VMM up there :\

Ok, something is still weird with the wiring here. Only the radio works, but when I play a CD, I only get bass and no sound from the stock speakers/amplifier. Does anyone know if the power antenna wire from the car harness on an 89 JBL system needs to be connected to a remote source in order for the stock amp to work correctly? My power antenna is manual in an 89, so I'm thinking this wire may serve some other purpose?

Okay, I'm getting into a bad habit of answering my own questions on here. I'll try to stop that :) Turns out the generic Ford harness from Best Buy had the labels for power antenna and external amplifier backward. Thought I would post this if someone has a similar problem. Had enough power for the radio, but not to play a cd.

Okay, I'm getting into a bad habit of answering my own questions on here. I'll try to stop that :) Turns out the generic Ford harness from Best Buy had the labels for power antenna and external amplifier backward. Thought I would post this if someone has a similar problem. Had enough power for the radio, but not to play a cd.

Ahem.

That wire does NOT supply the POWER, but a SIGNAL to turn on the amp.

If you're using it to POWER the amp, then yes, you'll have a lot of problem.

Most likely the antenna wire wasn't activated for CDs, since you don't use the antenna to listen to them ...

RwP

Back