Pre-Shootout Carnage

CMac89

I figured I would just post this here so I didn't have to text a bunch of pictures to people.

Last night, at about midnight, I decided to test out my new Treadstone intercooler. On the first test run I got about 23PSI in second gear and it went to 27PSI, in third. After that, I started hearing a knock in the motor and I also noticed a drop in oil pressure. This morning, I cut the oil filter open and it looked like Optimus Prime exploded inside of it. Shrapnel all over the place.

So I yanked the motor out and pulled it all apart. Besides the damage, everything looks good. I noticed there was milky oil in a few cylinders. I have been getting milky oil that I noticed during the last oil change. All of the rings and valvetrain look good, as well.

I ended up finding the problem which was the number three rod bearings spun and melted together. The crank's pretty scarred and I would need to have it ground .020", which would make it a -.030" under crank, on the rods. Also, that rod is a little burnt on the big end. That can probably be resized, though. All of the other rod bearings are good and the mains are great looking.

I'll post more later, I'm still doin work, son.

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Ouch, good luck and do work son!!

I take it that new intercooler is a little more free flowing then that other one you had.

Nice carnage. How do the other bearings look?

The other bearings looked okay. Some had shiny streaks on the face of the bearings. Mostly on the upper part of the bearings. The main and cam bearings are perfeeccttooo!

Well that is good to hear. Any idea why the one spun?

There aren't any apparent signs. The rings and the piston doesn't show any signs of detonation, but that doesn't mean there isn't. Number three rod bearings are singled out.

I'm close to thinkin that number three injector wasn't operating correctly. These injectors that I got had pintle caps with them and they all got melted and distorted from the E85. Whoooo knoooowwwsss!

I'm close to thinkin that number three injector wasn't operating correctly. These injectors that I got had pintle caps with them and they all got melted and distorted from the E85. Whoooo knoooowwwsss!

That's a good point. Maybe the bearing was also somewhat damaged from the E85 headgasket event.

Ouch !

So do you think you can get it back together in 2 weeks ?

David

PS: What happened to driving it like it only has 300 HP ?

If I can get the parts that I need, this week, then I should be able to have it started and ready to go. It's already tuned and all of that, so I just need to put it back together.

I was just trying to get some data from this intercooler, but the plan of taking it easy failed big time. Guess it was better for the bearing to go now and having a chance to fix it than happening at the Shootout.

The clutch is getting really thin, too. About .030" left until the rivets. So I have to deal with that, as well.

IMAG0378-1.jpg

if i can get the parts that i need, this week, then i should be able to have it started and ready to go. It's already tuned and all of that, so i just need to put it back together.

I was just trying to get some data from this intercooler, but the plan of taking it easy failed big time. Guess it was better for the bearing to go now and having a chance to fix it than happening at the shootout.

The clutch is getting really thin, too. About .030" left until the rivets. So i have to deal with that, as well.

imag0378-1.jpg

do work son!!!!!

It's a custom clutch from a shop, in Kentucky. kyclutch.com

So has the clutch been working out for you so far??? I know if you have the time and cruise to Louisville they will build it and resurface everything while ya wait.

So has the clutch been working out for you so far??? I know if you have the time and cruise to Louisville they will build it and resurface everything while ya wait.

Check out post 13. I'll just call them and do the shipping method.

Back