Rear Bumper and Ground Effects

clanfear

Hey, everybody.

I'm new here, but I've run myself into a little bit of trouble. Or rather, a little bit of tree-ble. I've got a 1990 Supercoupe (the love of my life). I was going a little too quick in some unfamiliar twisties and ended up down a hill, my car on its side, against a tree. Mean rear quarter panel damage. The thing that's really got me is the rear bumper. I'd really like to get a replacement rear bumper for an 89-93 Supercoupe with the "Thunderbird SC" lettering across it. The local bodyshop wants me to pay $500 for a bumper that lacks the lettering.

The car wasn't insured for collision, so the repairs are all out of pocket. I need a rear bumper for less than that, and I'm really hoping somebody out here can help me. I can pay cash or trade for stereo equipment - I work at a rather large stereo shop in Florence, Oregon. This car is my baby.

Anybody who can help me out, email me at clanfear@oregonfast.net (or post, of course). This includes information on sources to order the part from as well as any personal inventory you guys might have.

Thanks for your time and any help. It's very much appreciated.

- Charles Lanfear

First, Charles, Man I'm glad to hear you're around to be posting.

A friend of mine has just picked up a rough 35th and I don't know what he wants to do with it yet. If it's really rough, I may try to talk him into parting it out. Not before he registers it though. :) Anyway if he does decide to part it, I'll keep you in mind. I have a rear bumper cover that needs repairing and there is supposedly a place in OKC that can do it. I don't know for sure yet. I will consider mine also. Is yours repairable? I'll call the ford dealer tomorrow and see if the rear "SC" bumpers are still available. I didn't know they weren't. If they can be had, my buddy has a salvage yard connection that might be able to get one. I'll make a note and check on all of this tomorrow. Stay tuned.

And watch those curves, okay? :)

BTW, where is Florence? I want to visit Oregon very soon.

Last edited:
rear bumper cover

I've got a black one w/ one little gouge on the corner.Can fix when you paint to match.If interested why don't you figure how best to get to you from Winston-Salem,N.C.(carrier,shipping cost,etc.) and I'll take $250 plus the shipping.

Hi, Charles.

Here is what I have been able to learn so far. The rear bumper is available for list price of $377. The only thing we aren't sure of is this having the "THUNDERBIRD SC" lettering. I hear some people saying the ones you get now don't have it but that may be a confusion with the front bumper cover which is the case. The front bumper is serviced with the ones for the 92-93 plain. It sells for $600 list. The rear still shows a particular number for 89-93 Supercoupe so it's probable that it still says THUNDERBIRD SC on the cover. I can get them at a discount but I'm sure many others can too. The rear bumper cover number is E9SZ-17K835-A. There are a couple of places here in OKC that supposedly fix broken rubber covers although I haven't used them before.

FAST ED?? Are you catching this, guy? Ed can help with a lot of things. Maybe he can help find out what the real story is on this. I would like to know myself. I really wish I could help more on this. The ebay bumper may be the best bet right now if you need it quick.

My best to you, Charles.

HMM ... Seems like you guys in the U.S. get boned on that particular part number ... here in the Great White North, list price is $270 CAN !! Too bad the Ford of Canada dealer agreement keeps me from exporting parts to the U.S.

E9SZ 17K835 A is the correct p/n for an 89- 93 SC rear cover. As far as I know, it still has the 'Thunderbird SC' embossed into it. As Lance said, the replacement FRONT covers from Ford do not have the SC logo, since they are supplying the 92 - 93 style for all of the 89 - 93, but the rear was never in production without it, so I'm thinking maybe it's just the aftermarket replacements that don't have the lettering. Unfortunately, I haven't sold one of those new Ford covers for a long time, so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

cheers
Ed N.

Hey Ed. How's it goin?

Justin that's an excellent link. I had not heard of that one and I thank you. I did a search for this bumper and they showed a lot of them in different conditions and prices. that's a neat place and I'll keep it in mind for other things too. And like you said, many people are selling things and not gouging people. It's nice to see that.

Have a great weekend all.

Yes,
I buy stuff on there all the time, its a network of salvage yards. You have to call the place and make sure the item is still in stock, and make sure that they won't gouge you on shipping (most are pretty honest though)
Justin

Sorry its taken so long to post here again. Turns out the insurance might be covering the damage, but I'll still need to buy a bumper cover myself to keep the cost under totaling the vehicle. Unfortunately, at my current budget, I'm looking at about $120 to spend on this bumper.

Yeah, I know.

Mine is completely repairable, but it'd end up costing me about $250 to get it repaired and the underside is really beat up in my opinion. I'd be happy to give it to someone for a break on the price of picking a really solid one up - or just selling it very very cheap. Not cracked at all, just cut on the grill portions underneath. Naturally, its lacking in the paint department.

Anyway, if there's anybody out there who might be able to help me out in that price range, I give my undying gratitude. I'd be willing to trade a Sony XM-2252hx (225 x 2 watt at 4 ohm) amp for the bumper cover as well. Maybe other gear.

- Charles Lanfear

Back