anyone try the door hinge pins from autozone?

I've used the door pins and bushings in the HELP section at Advance on mulitple Tbirds and work just fine.

I've used the door pins and bushings in the HELP section at Advance on mulitple Tbirds and work just fine.

cool thanks assume they should be just about the same..

dont wanna look the a dumb A** tryin to shut my doors at the shoot out lol

The part number I use is 38410, which requires you to ream the holes for the bushings with a 15/32 drill bit. Very easily done when you remove the brackets from the door and put them in a vice.

The part number I use is 38410, which requires you to ream the holes for the bushings with a 15/32 drill bit. Very easily done when you remove the brackets from the door and put them in a vice.

part # i got was 38438 both at autozone and advanced auto..

didn't have to ream the wholes and everything turned out good.. so happy best 40bucks i spent.. :eek::D

I have used both part numbers, Usually I use the ones you have to ream the hole because the hole becomes oval shaped.
Alan

I have used both part numbers, Usually I use the ones you have to ream the hole because the hole becomes oval shaped.
Alan

Hmm ... I have been using the 38410 bushings with no reaming ... Oops. :eek: They are working for now, though, anyway ...

The dormans that require reaming are 703-270. I don't know what the autozone numbers are. I buy them from rockauto and keep them in stock...
Alan

I found it to be a real pain. An extra set of hands will help a lot. (Maybe buy a 6-pack and lure a buddy over to help!) Try tightening down one bolt on each hinge to hold the door in one spot. Then loosen one bolt, and only partially loosen the other. Shift the door a little, then tighten the bolts back down. Repeat until the door fits! (This may take a year or two.) Then align the striker bolt AFTER the door fits and swings nicely.

There is a tool for this, which holds the door in position for you (more or less). I actually OWN the tool, and I STILL thought it was a huge pain.

For the second door, I experimented, and found that my die grinder would juuuuuust barely reach in to cut the hinge pins. Then, with a wacky-looking bent rod as a drift, I was able to sledgehammer out the remains of the pins. Then I was able to re-hang the door without making a single adjustment! :D

I marked both pieces of the hinge on the car and the door with a fine tip sharpie. I traced around it so I would know exactly where it came from factory. I did 3 cars like this and never missed a beat, perfect every time. Then all that is left is washing off the sharpie.

Hinge pins

I found it to be a real pain. An extra set of hands will help a lot. (Maybe buy a 6-pack and lure a buddy over to help!) Try tightening down one bolt on each hinge to hold the door in one spot. Then loosen one bolt, and only partially loosen the other. Shift the door a little, then tighten the bolts back down. Repeat until the door fits! (This may take a year or two.) Then align the striker bolt AFTER the door fits and swings nicely.

There is a tool for this, which holds the door in position for you (more or less). I actually OWN the tool, and I STILL thought it was a huge pain.

For the second door, I experimented, and found that my die grinder would juuuuuust barely reach in to cut the hinge pins. Then, with a wacky-looking bent rod as a drift, I was able to sledgehammer out the remains of the pins. Then I was able to re-hang the door without making a single adjustment! :D

I agree with you 100% ! I would rather spend 2 hours fabricating a punch tool or whatever than to spend 2 days cussing a friggin door!:D

Back