Two electrical problems, seem related, ignition and starter

T-Faust

The car is a 90 XR-7, auto

First the symptoms and then what I have tried.

Engine misfires, could be that it is not firing a few cylinders.
Comes and goes.
Tachometer goes dead.
Stop car, shut off, restart and it runs normally.
Tachometer does not always come back to life.

Starter started acting up on me, so I replaced it with a rebuilt.
Starter lasted two days, it tested bad, so I got another on warranty.
Sometimes it will spin normally,but not start.
Sometimes it spins normally for a few seconds, than groans like a dead battery. Switching it off, then restarting, it spins normally. Sometimes 5-6 tires to get it to start. Sometimes it starts right up.

This happened tonight while I had the lights on, while spinning normally lights did not dim. When it started to groan, lights dimmed. Let the key go, tried again, spun normally and lights didn't dim. Also didn't start until 6th try.

What I have done.
Since the misfiring/not firing was a problem I had before I replaced the year old ignition module. Local store could not test module, so I got a new ignition module on warranty. Doesn't seem to be any different.

Replaced starter and fender wall solenoid.

I have a new ignition switch, but haven't put it in yet.

Since I replaced the starter, the misfiring has gotten worse. I had it before, but it was only every week or so. Now, it happens 2-3 times a day.

Anybody see any connection between the two? Any guesses?

Sounds ignition related. I would try the ignition switch, since you have it. I would also try unplugging the cam sensor to see if that is bad. The engine should run fine without it, but starting may take several tries.

I second the cam sensor check if your tach dies out that's always a good place to start good luck.

To check the cam sensor do I disconnect it and see if there is a change? No change means it's bad?

To check the cam sensor do I disconnect it and see if there is a change? No change means it's bad?

Yes, unplug it. Make sure the plug won't get caught in the belts when you start the engine. Then see if it runs right. (Bear in mind that starting may take a few tries, because the cam sensor helps the computer figure out which cylinder is ready to fire.)

If it now runs great, then that means the cam sensor was bad and was messing you up.

If there is no change, then that means the problem was not the cam sensor.

Back