converting to R-134

jmcdonnell

I am curious if anyone has converted their A/C to R-134 refigerant? I have looked for a conversion kit, but have been unable to find one. A friend of mine says that there are about six different A/C Compressors that were used on the T-Birds, and that if it a FX-5 (?) model that the compressor needed to be changed. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I converted my 89. All I did was buy the kit for $34 at autozone and filled it up. That's all. Works fine.

Ask around some before you use a Walmart or Autozone $35 compressor death kit. I repaired/retro'd my 1990 A/C system this summer and decided against a kit because of the problems associated with using them.. mainly that these kits require you take risky shortcuts. So, if you use one, be prepared to replace your whole A/C when the compressor goes a year later.

Here's a couple of links which should help explain the subject and the risks you're taking with one of the cheapo kits:

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/index.htm
http://www.ackits.com/forum/index.cfm

I didn't check into the links very much, but I couldn't help but notice that the one site looked to be a company that sells auto ac stuff. My exp on 134 is I did it to my Monte Carlo SS seems like 2 summers ago...still works fine. Me and my dad did his F-250 Diesel early this summer and had no problems, infact, it got so cold in the cab you could swing racks of beef. Just follow the directions and you should be okay (I hope anyway)

I did it on my 89SC. The right way to do it is to replace your recever dryer and any o-rings that you can. R-12 has bigger molecules then 134a so when you retrofit a small leak that R-12 couldnt leak past 134a will. After all the work is done take your car to a shop that is air cond. Certified and have them fill it because you need to evacuate the system to make sure there isnt any water in it and to make sure that there arnt any leaks. Also dont be surprised if it doesnt blow as cold as your old r-12. I wouldnt retrofit your car unless your current r-12 leaked out.

Hey, jmcdonnell

I am EPA certified in A/C repairs there is no consequence in using a retrofit kit from Wal-mart or Auto zone. Keep in mind that you do need to evacuate your system, TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL!! so that they can check for leaks and pull a good vacuum do not take apart any lines or vent the refrigerant (r-12). Last I knew the penalty for releasing any type of refrigerant into the atmosphere was $27,500 and a reward for turning somebody in for releasing ref. was $10,000. Just to let you know I replaced the Compressor, receiver/dryer, and the orifice tube earlier this year and used a retrofit kit to fill it up. I beleive that high side pressure was approx. 200 psi and low side was around 35 psi. It is still blowing cold air, not that I need it right now.

THank to all

To all that have replied and hoppefully still will, thank you. There is a lot of great advise and information here.

The R-12 is gone. When I went to do my heads, I connected an A/C machine at a Navy auto hobby shop, were the attendants are certified to work on R-12 and R-134 refigerent, to evacuate and the system was empty. So that is why I'm planning on change to 134.

Thanks again to all.

Back