How to remove DS catalytic converter?

275hptbirdsc

Since all the shops around here quoted me way to high to replace my cats (with me supplying the cats) I decided to try it out myself. I replaced the resonator as well myself so I thought it shouldnt be to bad. Anyway just as I was getting ready to cut it off I noticed that its bolted up to the manifolds so does it just unbolt from there? Im thinking that even if I cut it off as close to the car as possible I just wont have enough pipe to go on from there plus the 02 sensor is right there as well.

i thought the driver side o2 was in the manifold?

why not just unbolt it and cut the pipe at the converter?

you'll need a pretty nice bend to mate back up to the exhaust, if doing it yourself you'll probably need two 90s

i thought the driver side o2 was in the manifold?

why not just unbolt it and cut the pipe at the converter?

you'll need a pretty nice bend to mate back up to the exhaust, if doing it yourself you'll probably need two 90s

Yea it might be in the manifold then, I kinda just eyeballed it when I saw it was bolted. All I know is that its a pretty tight fit for a sawzall so I was wondering if unbolting it would free it from the manifold allowing me to cut it at the other end and be done with it.

Take a cut off wheel and cut a big rectangle, leave one side attached but not by much. Peel it back take the guts out and mig weld it back down with a small 110v welder. Still passes the visual inspection too :)
Alan

No inspections here in Iowa.

Kyle

Take a cut off wheel and cut a big rectangle, leave one side attached but not by much. Peel it back take the guts out and mig weld it back down with a small 110v welder. Still passes the visual inspection too :)
Alan

I would gut the cats/remove them but I already have the replacement cats and Im not really fond of the sound of these cars without cats.

The downpipe is held to the manifold outlet by two nuts on studs. I see that you live in a Northern state, like many of us. That means the fasteners may not play nice for you. If penetrating oil isn't enough to let you get the nuts off, then you are in trouble.

Access can be difficult, but you can get through the studs with a die grinder and some little ceramic cutoff wheels. (There is a 30pack or so sold by Dremel, which are very fragile, but work great!) But then you are left with two stumps protruding from the manifold. It's a real pain to get those out. If you do get through all that, though, you can replace the studs with stainless ones, and the nuts with brass ones. Those should be nice and easy to get apart next time!

Ok I went under the car to try and unbolt it but I couldnt find the right size for the bolts does anyone know what size they are?

Back