No Start at key

prthurman

Ok so to start the story line off. My wife and I go to pick up my 94 lx from the trans shop....... turns out my trans is crap now and have to get a new one. Anyhoo we drove our 93 SC to get my other car. Everything was fine. So we leave and my wife drives the SC and I drive the LX. Not even 500yds down the road I catch up to my wife and she's on the side of the road. She says "the car sounded like the bottom of the engine was tearing up so I cut if off to try and avoid too much damage". Well I try and start it back to see if I could hear the noise. I turned the key and no start, the car acted as if the battery was dying/dead. Meaning that when the key was off everything appeared normal, but the second you turned the key into the run/on position the door ding got weak, and the lights got weak, and the (guessing) fuel pump shut off switch in truck was making a racket. So I get my jumper cables out and try to jump it....................no difference. So I tow it home (not with my other bird.....jsuk lol)
As I get it home I try to start again.....still looks like a battery/short problem.
I tinker with the key and get it to turn w/o the dimming but won't start, so I jump it at the selenoid and get it to fire up. Runs but undriveable because of the having to hold the key inplace while shifting gears would be a miraculous experience to say the least lol. So I search on the forums for a fix assuming already that it is the lock cylinder and or the ignition switch. That's the same answer I kept finding, so this am I go and get new switch and lock cylinder. Replaced the old ones..................same thing happens. But only now you can't get the selenoid to jump it to start, you can turn the motor over but still no power to have the fp on and the ignition on.

help me please....I'm no rookie....lol
The car is a 93 factory auto converted to standard.

btw I just changed the batteries out of my birds to verify that wasn't a problem and it still does same thing. The car has a new crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor.

Well lets see

Does the key seem to turn normally and spring back after you release it from the start position?

Have you tried to bypass the key and drop the ignition switch down and start it using just the ignition switch? Slide the pin all the way forward to start and it should spring back.

You can always swap ignition switches from the SC to the LX if I understood you correctly, you have 1 of each. I believe they are the same switch. But maybe I misunderstood you.

Check connection at starter to make sure it is good and tight and not corroded.

Let us know how that goes.

Smitty

Check connection at starter to make sure it is good and tight and not corroded.

Let us know how that goes.

Smitty

OMG in the effort to check the starter wires from up top (way too low for me to get underneath it and I'm skinny lol), I found that the ground wire for the motor had been torn up. I appears my wife drove over someone's blown out tire and failed to tell me that part. Problem solved back to being its mean self all over again. Thanks again for all your help.

Back