Question for all the turbo guys

notime

How do you have your turbo supported? After nearly every drive I am getting cracks on the hot side piping and I believe it to be because the turbo is not supported by anything other than the piping itself. There is no flex coupler on the hotside either. At this point I have a crack on the drivers side header and at the wastegate. The cracks form just above/below the weld.

I am not home very often and would like to drive it instead of work on it when I do get time at home.

Also the rear differential mount keeps cracking. Has anyone used the mount that Bill at SCP is selling with success?

Any tips, advice, and pictures of how yours are supported is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Needs to be supported off the engine, bracket from the head etc. also a flex couple should be used. What are you using for hot side piping.

I'm just supporting mine with the passenger side header and crossover pipe (no flex joint). It's been that way since 2005 and holding up fine. Headers are mild steel and everything else on the hotside is stainless. I don't like flex joints because they leak and sometimes they fall apart inside and damage the turbo.

Reducing engine movement would probably fix your problem. Right now, when your motor moves the downpipe and rest of the exhaust system have to move with the motor. With a rigid exhaust system like that car has, it's going to put a lot of strain on the headers and crossover pipe when the motor lifts. I'm using a set steel motor mounts I had made at work to keep the motor from moving.

garage_attachment.php

David

I never thought about the inside of the flex joint coming apart and entering the turbo. That scares me enough to stay away from it. Sounds like Davids idea of solid mounts would be the easiest solution if they were available.

David,

Do you have another set you would be willing to sell?

Thanks for the input,

Chris

The only reason a flex coupler would be needed is if the turbo was mounted to the frame and didn't move with the motor. If everything moves with the motor, then a flex coupler wouldn't be necessary. The downpipe would be the only thing that would be necessary to have a flex coupler, but you can still go without that.

A brace is necessary with a turbo setup. The excessive heat will cause the piping to become malleable and the weight of the hotside will start warping the tubing/welds.

I took a 1/8" thick piece of flat bar stock, bolted it to two of the front turbine housing flange bolts and I fasten it at one bolt hole location, in the head. I also took the same type of bar stock to keep the motor from moving (the cheap way.) It's the same spot that I have the turbo brace bolted to.

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

I never thought about the inside of the flex joint coming apart and entering the turbo. That scares me enough to stay away from it. Sounds like Davids idea of solid mounts would be the easiest solution if they were available.

David,

Do you have another set you would be willing to sell?

Thanks for the input,

Chris

Chris,

No I don't have any others...I just made those to duplicate the stock 5.0 LX mounts. There's a guy named Chuck that was selling some solid mounts a while back...just do a search on "solid motor mounts" and you should find his contact info.

David

The 1/8" bar used to hold the motor solid, does it work well? I may have to try that. It looks easy enough. I'm not sure which route I will take but I appreciate everybodys input and hope you all have a good time at the shootout.

Thanks,

Chris

The 1/8" bar used to hold the motor solid, does it work well? I may have to try that. It looks easy enough. I'm not sure which route I will take but I appreciate everybodys input and hope you all have a good time at the shootout.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't see how that bar keeps the driver's side of the motor from lifting :confused:

David

Back