ABS on 92 giving us fits

ScrapSC

Brakes are giving us fits!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: Motor keeps turning and wont build pressure. I have swapped out the accumulator, checked the continuity on the pressure switch, full of fluid and it will just keep on running.. I shut it off after 15 or 20 seconds.... Will give it a shot in the morning when our heads a clear from some shut eye!

Brakes are giving us fits!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: Motor keeps turning and wont build pressure. I have swapped out the accumulator, checked the continuity on the pressure switch, full of fluid and it will just keep on running.. I shut it off after 15 or 20 seconds.... Will give it a shot in the morning when our heads a clear from some shut eye!

Is the key that connects the motor to the pump in place? I swapped the motor on mine and I dropped that key. I didn't notice and the same thing was happening.

Have you swapped out the motor with another one.....:confused:

I've seen some motors that were wired different and will run backwards when swapped.....

Pull the accumulator off and test the motor.....

You should get about a 1" geyser of brake fluid if everything is working properly....

Yup made sure that booger was in there. Have swapped a complete unit out and it is doing the same thing as the one before.

Check to see if the pump is pumping brake fluid....

If it is and the motor won't shut off, then you have a bad pressure switch....

I had two units. One had a bad motor and the other a bad pump. I put the good motor with the good pump. Hit it with voltage and got fluid coming out where the accumulator threads into. It is now on the car and pumps up and the lights are out. With key on and letting the system pump up I hit the brake pedal one time and the motor kicks in. The light stay out but it shouldnt pump after just one tap on the pedal..... I have another accumulator ball that I am going to swap onto it to see if that will solve it. So at least now the pump and motor are working correctly. Just have to get a good accumulator on it. Well,, I hope that is it!!! LOL

Brakes appear to be good now! :) No lights come on when hitting the pedal and the system coming up to pressure and shutting off... Time will tell.

What you were describing was a worn out accumulator.....

If the pump motor comes on after hitting the brake pedal once, then your accumulator is on it way out....

I was thinking that was the case. The other two accumulators I tried had the lights coming on in the dash. I need to pick me up a known good one here within the next week. If you have a line on one give me a yell...

Well they're not THAT expensive... Like $100-$120 and for such an important system, it might not be a bad idea. Of course The Big-E always seems to be a good source on good used brake parts. I'm in need of one myself and I am getting it through him.

Last edited:
Yes Victor or Bill can get the GM ones I got one and it works well. No light after a sitting in traffic. :D
I used a strap to tighten the new one. It does not come with the hex on the top.

Back