Autozone rebuilt steering racks...any experience with those?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
The 93 is going to need the rack replaced. I wanted to see if anyone has had experiences with the racks sold by autozone. I had bad experiences with Autozone alternators...i went back 4 times to exchange the alternator b/c it did not work. The fourth alternator was tested right out the box at the store and it was DEAD. An alternator is ALOT easier to change than a steering rack so I want to see opinions.

any help appreciated.

i installed one in my corvette and the dust boots came held on with zip ties and it leaked after 50 miles

i guess everyone has a good story and a bad one

i have one in my black 90 no complaints, even came with new inner tie rods for 180 free lifetime replacement warranty

that's what I'm talking bout! Thanks for the input guys.

When I asked about the alternators (long ago) the negative feedback was almost immediate. I -still- decided to try them even though everyone said they sucked...lesson learned. New motorcraft unit was bought then. Since there is positive feedback on the AZ rack, I may do that.

I checked and the racks are dirt cheap in autozone and they include inner tie rods. Unfortunatelly the motorcraft replacement racks are waaay too expensive to even consider right now (well over $400). I do have an old lead for an OEM rack for a reasonable price..m.aybe I can still land that...otherwise, autozone it is!

CAUTION...Be sure to check the threaded length of the inner tie rod ends,I personally experienced a replacement that had the wrong inner tie rods installed on it..Come to find out,they used Mustang inner tie rods on a T-Bird rack..I didn't think to check before the install but found out the hard way when I had it aligned..Just my 2 cents....

CAUTION...Be sure to check the threaded length of the inner tie rod ends,I personally experienced a replacement that had the wrong inner tie rods installed on it..Come to find out,they used Mustang inner tie rods on a T-Bird rack..I didn't think to check before the install but found out the hard way when I had it aligned..Just my 2 cents....

I actually read your suggestion on another thread, thanks man...i'll keep that in mind!

Thanks all for the suggestions. My lead to the OEM rack fell through so I'll be getting an autozone rack.

I got the rebuild kit and inner tie rods from autozone. Did the job myself and so far nothing has gone wrong. ;)

I installed a rack and pinion on my 90SC about a month ago. But I got mine from Oreilly's, they have about the same price and warranty. The unit looks good and haven't had any issues. Good luck with the swap! Its a pitta to change out!!:eek:

Just the thought of Autozone parts makes me cringe....

built to last, dura-last ;)

AZ is my primary autoparts supply, not only is it walking distance to my house (a neccessity for a successful supercoupe owner) but i've never had any issues with anything from AZ. Just about everything replacable on my cars came from autozone.

rack
tie rods
ball joints
upr cntrl arms
strut rod bushings
shocks
spindles
brake pads & hoses
clutch kit
slave cyl
master cyl
alternator
water pump
thermostat
radiator hoses
belts
starter
dis module
cam and crank sensor
plug wires
plugs
coil pack
fuel pump
fuel filter
air filter
a/c compressor & accumulator
p/s pump
headgaskets

etc...

damn near everything i've ever changed on any of my cars is either duralast or dorman, never an issue that i can recall off top

built to last, dura-last ;)

AZ is my primary autoparts supply, not only is it walking distance to my house (a neccessity for a successful supercoupe owner) but i've never had any issues with anything from AZ. Just about everything replacable on my cars came from autozone.

rack
tie rods
ball joints
upr cntrl arms
strut rod bushings
shocks
spindles
brake pads & hoses
clutch kit
slave cyl
master cyl
alternator
water pump
thermostat
radiator hoses
belts
starter
dis module
cam and crank sensor
plug wires
plugs
coil pack
fuel pump
fuel filter
air filter
a/c compressor & accumulator
p/s pump
headgaskets

etc...

damn near everything i've ever changed on any of my cars is either duralast or dorman, never an issue that i can recall off top

Wow!

That's the 1st time I've ever heard of anyone having good luck with Autozone parts. I never thought I'd hear of a whole list like that! Name brand stuff isn't the issue, it's the "Duralast, AZ, El Cheapo" stuff that's always given me & everyone I know that's tried them an issue. But hey, Good for you! You've had better luck with them than I have. :rolleyes:

Back