Ball/socket header collector

91BLOWNBIRD

Anyone as fed up with the kooks mid-length ball/socket collectors as I am? I've tried lock washers, lock nuts, thread lock, double nut action...I even wasted money on taking it back to exhaust shop so they can "fix it".

Mainly the driver side collector comes loose eventually and it sounds like crap, so I find myself re-tightening them every month or so.

Any better solutions? I was thinking switching to a flat 3 bolt flange like the long tubes...

any ideas?

I had this happen quite a bit a couple years ago. Ended up using lock washers, and mechanical lock nuts (the ones the are squished to like triangle), and so far no problems. If you search I think Ken Wagner changed his to vbands.

I have had the same issue and am thinking of going to the same setup as Ken Wagner. I have had the issue from the time I have put them on.

I think I have tightened them so many times that the ball flange is flattening and making it harder to seal now...I'll look up kens setup

vbands look sweet...some people say 3bolt flanges will warp over time...anyone know how much a vband setup costs roughly?

V-bands for the win...I had the same problem with the crappy ball and socket connection, on my mid length Kooks headers so I bought longtubes. The longtubes created more problems than they solved, and if doing it over I would have had an exhaust shop convert the mid length headers over to v-band connections. You can get them from several places...this is where I usually buy those kinds of parts.

http://racepartssolutions.com

David

V-bands for the win...I had the same problem with the crappy ball and socket connection, on my mid length Kooks headers so I bought longtubes. The longtubes created more problems than they solved, and if doing it over I would have had an exhaust shop convert the mid length headers over to v-band connections. You can get them from several places...this is where I usually buy those kinds of parts.

http://racepartssolutions.com

David

I am with you on that David. When it goes back together it will have the V-bands on... Tired of constantly tightening the nuts on the flanges and still having an exhaust leak.

Back