fuel tanks

jdsgallops

Where can I find a new gas tank for my 90? No luck at Advanced Auto. Ebay has steel replacement ones available. Mine has a leak that lookslike it has tried to be patched already and it is not workinmg. Really don't want to get the welder under the car for the exhaust with as strong as the smell is. If I need to pull the tank to weld I would like to replace it.

Where can I find a new gas tank for my 90? No luck at Advanced Auto. Ebay has steel replacement ones available. Mine has a leak that lookslike it has tried to be patched already and it is not workinmg. Really don't want to get the welder under the car for the exhaust with as strong as the smell is. If I need to pull the tank to weld I would like to replace it.

Good luck finding a new one. :eek: Do you have something against used parts? Most T-Bird/Cougar tanks are in pretty good shape - might just have to replace the locking ring & seal.

Nothing against used parts. Just don't like the idea of a used plastic tank. Like you said most used tanks are in good condition. Having to replace the tank again after I put the exhaust back on is not something I want to tackle.

im assuming that all the fuel tanks up to 97 were the same? I found a couple at a local jy and i seem to have a pretty good leak above the 1/2 tank area

im assuming that all the fuel tanks up to 97 were the same? I found a couple at a local jy and i seem to have a pretty good leak above the 1/2 tank area

89-91 are quite different than the later ones. The tunnel for the exhaust pipes was straightened out on the later tanks.

I think there are a few minor differences between the rest of them, but basically they are the same.

Was the leak typically on the passenger side? The fuel sender o-ring and retainer let a little fuel out when they get old and don't seal as well. I've also seen the solder let go on the tubing into the tank :eek:...but again, that's not the tank.

Other than that and where hoses clamp one, unless damaged, there is no place for them to leak.

However, junkyards do empty the gas tanks on their cars - sometimes by punching a hole in the tank. :(

89-91 are quite different than the later ones. The tunnel for the exhaust pipes was straightened out on the later tanks.

I think there are a few minor differences between the rest of them, but basically they are the same.

Was the leak typically on the passenger side? The fuel sender o-ring and retainer let a little fuel out when they get old and don't seal as well. I've also seen the solder let go on the tubing into the tank :eek:...but again, that's not the tank.

Other than that and where hoses clamp one, unless damaged, there is no place for them to leak.

However, junkyards do empty the gas tanks on their cars - sometimes by punching a hole in the tank. :(

Thank you sir. Looks like ill have to drop the tank to see where exactly its coming from.
Ive found a couple of tanks on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Fuel-Tank-Gas-Silver-Mercury-Cougar-94-93-92-91-90-89-88-87-86-85-Ford-Car-/370527106180?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AThunderbird|Year%3A1993&hash=item564522f484

If that picture is correct it's not going to fit an SC. The SC tank has a large U shaped cutout running the entire length on top of the tank for driveshaft clearance, and indentions on the bottom for exhaust pipe clearance. This article on changing fuel pumps has some photos.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12parts/fuel-pump/fpk-install/fuel-pump-kit-install.htm

David

Last edited:

This appears to be my exact problem. I got the old tank out this morning and transfered everything over to the old tank. Went back under the car and noticed the staining on the undercarriage. Want to put a new seal on before I put the "new" used tank in but once again couldn't get one at Advanced Auto. Ddidn't have time to check anywhere else.

Ford still carries the tank seal. The only other place I could find to get one was from Autozone with a new retainer ring via special order. Ford only wanted $1.79 for the seal.

I found some new tanks online. I just want to make sure there are the late model one that straighten out the exhaust. The pictures are not looking right. 100 bucks shipped is not a bad deal.

Back