Help with removal of old hood

mellbutler

ok went to remove the old hood, Matt could not get the screws on the side ooof the hinge loose, and the bolts that hold the lower part of the hing have been broke off. I believe the screws have been painted over and are glued together. He tried some spray on it but broke his bit. Any advice how to remove without mandling anything? We do have another set of hinges that came with the new hood, but would rather now unless we have to. I will have him post pics later

I've had trouble with those too.

Maybe try tapped the screws with a hammer maybe even while trying to turn them? Use the best bit you can get too. My Craftsman torx bits have held up pretty well so far.

I've broken a bit on them before too. :rolleyes: One of my dad's...I think it may have been a Craftsman too...

I would say that as well ^^^^. I have broke a few Torx bits on those before. Just be carefull not to round out the torx head of the screw.

I used a torch to heat things up and then was able to break the bolt loose. If you've already stripped out the torx head, you could have a nut welded to the top of the bolt and then take it out. Of course, you'd have to get some new bolts.

Yeah, if you don't care about the paint on the old hood a torch would help too.

Unless they're rusted in, they should come out though.

Back