Bad miss,tried all fixes

sparky379

I am somewhat of a newbie, recently purchased a 89 SC, with timing issue,,it has a bad misfire,,,some days it starts, and idles fine,,others ,,not so fine,,
when you put it in gear,, it has a hard miss,,replaced wires, and crank sensor,, still there, not sure what else to try,, any ideas?

What was the history of the car up to your purchase?

If the camshaft position sensor stalk (part that takes the place of a distributor) was removed just prior to the problems, it may not be timed correctly. It's easy to mess that up if you don't know what you're doing.

Does the tachometer act funky at all?

Last edited:
The cam sensor and DIS module are common problems with SCs. Mainly cam sensors. Crank sensors rarely fail.

Does your tach ever become erratic?

Run the codes - ask a local AutoZone, etc. to do it for you if you don't know how.

thanks guys

i will start at the tops of the list,, and start replacing,,lol,,,
its odd,, some days i go out and start it,,,idles like a dream.
until it goes into 1st gear, and then it starts missing,,with pull on the engine ,i would guess,,
not sure on the history, its been parked for 7 years,,,
its my dream car, i dont really care what i got to do, or spend on the problem,,
i just wanna get her up and running....

Thanks alot for your input guys,,,

Did you change the spark plugs? The plugs are in a crap location, so most of the time they haven't been changed.

i will try these when i get in,, i work away, wont be in till the end of the month,,
i will post what i find out. I used to have a obd2 cable and scan XL, for one of my old cars,, might order another one, to have for this one as well,,seemed to be great software, problem finder, designed mainly for fords,,

Thanks again, for your input

If it starts/runs good some times, but not others, it sounds like the cam sensor.

Unplug it, get in, start it up, and drive off. It may take 4-5 tries to get it to start. If it
doesn't start within about 3 seconds, turn key completely off and try again. If this
fixes your problem, replace the cam sensor.

Last edited:
Back