Key on fan kicks in and wont kick off and engine will not crank!

ScrapSC

Alright Sallys car is finished up but now it will not even crank. The alarm light is on in the dash and the fan runs when the key is turned forward and doesnt kick out. I pulled the chip out of the computer just in case that was it and it is still doing it.

Alrighty, unhooked the anti-theft in the trunk and the light is off. Now key forward still nothing. Fan is running. So, I jumped it at the selenoid and it fired right up and ran like a charm. I still dont think it is the selenoid but possibly the pin out could be different on a 92 (sallys car) compared to the 90 aod transmission I swapped into it.... Its as though it isnt kicking the safety switch off and allowing it to start...

well

My 90SC did that today...I was playing with the fusebox and I tried to start it.....everything came on but would not start. Jumped the solenoid fired right up. So I pulled the battery thinking I tripped a relay and it Fired right up.

good job!!!:)

keep matt company on the sidelines while Sally and I race...least he won't be the only hubby sitting...next year though he should have his own sc going

good job!!!:)

keep matt company on the sidelines while Sally and I race...least he won't be the only hubby sitting...next year though he should have his own sc going

Well Mel, still didn't fire without bypassing ingnition/alarm (who knows) and because of that we've opted to call it quits because neither of us want to rush things on it at this point. We'll come back regroup and have it ready for the fall shootout. See you all sometimes today. ;)

ignition switch would be the first thing to check if it will start and run with jumping the solenoid. That indicates that when the arm moving the switch to the "start" position , either the arm doesn't move it far enough, or the switch contacts at that position are bad.

well that sucks! Check the exciter wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid, if you have no power you need to check for power out of the ignition switch itself.

Last edited:
Check to make sure the tune on the QH exists. If no tune is found or there is a issue with the tune it will immediately kick on the fans when you turn the key.

I think it sounds like a PCM / wiring issue. Almost as if the car is stuck in a halfway mode or something.

I just went through this with my cougar.. there is a jumper wire in the harness. Is fords way of using one harness for auto and stick cars its for the neutral safety switch. its in a two peice big white plugin... i forget what it plugs into but when plugged in it completes the circuit ... the red and light blue wire and the white and pink ... hook em together.. I just got done pulling the dash outta the car and came across the issue.when i gutted my car i didnt pay attention what came from where but hope this may help you.

The car was a 5 speed and I swapped it over to an auto. I jumped the neutral safety when the auto went in. I found out that I had clipped a wire running to the solenoid that kicked the starter over tonight when I went back to the garage... Yup... somehow.. Now to get that fixed and tie up some other things...

Hopefully I can get that done after work tomorrow and get on to hood pins and other things for Sally's car...

cool glad to hear its starting of the key. Im trying to find time to pull the heater box out and some other odds and ends

Back