C&l maf

1fstb1rd

Hey everyone, I recently got a used 76mm c&l MAF housing with the yellow/gold sampling tube, which is for #30 injectors. When I installed this on my 89 which has the 30 injectors. On the C&L website it claims there is no need for calibration etc. etc but when I installed it the car ran like complete crap. i have the scp 3.5 intake cone filter and heat parition. Anyone have any insight to this? The meter itself is perfectly fine as it works fine in the stock housing.

the sensor is clean as can be, its definatly not the sensor, why would it be perfectly find in the stock housing and run like crap in the c&l housing with the correct sampling tube?

C&L's are notorious for this on mustangs. The company also believes that there is no need to change the MAF transfer in the tune. The product is nothing more than tricking the computer into thinking something else. Unfortunately it seems to be our only choice or at least affordable one. The first thing to try is "clocking" the MAF. This means turning the housing so the electronics are in a position other than on the top. This should put the sensor in a better reading position clearing up your problem.

Also, make sure the sampling tube is installed the correct way. Flat end towards engine, Tapered towards the air box.

Last edited:
Im having the exact same problem with my 76mm c&l maff but my sample tube is just natural aluminum color?He said it was the one for the 30lb injectors,tried clocking it which helped the idle but still runs crappy?

Im having the exact same problem with my 76mm c&l maff but my sample tube is just natural aluminum color?He said it was the one for the 30lb injectors,tried clocking it which helped the idle but still runs crappy?

For 30s it should be the gold color not the clear tube.

30's are clear tube mine has cleared up and runs great now ecu musta just had to adjust alil!I think the yellow tube is for the 36's?

There is nothing inherently crappy about the C&L meters and they don't "trick the computer." The only meters that "trick" the computer are those that try to compensate for different size injectors without a tune. This includes C&L meters with optional sample tubes installed as well as Pro M meters and any other "programmable" meters.

So if you have stock injectors then the C&L is not trying to trick anything. However, it is just a plain fact that meters vary. I have tuned literally 100's of Ford cars of all types and have become quite resigned to the fact that essentially every non OE meter (including the expensive SCT meters) will need tuning from time to time.

Having said that, if you have a 76mm MAF and stock injectors then you should be using a yellow sample tube. If you have a 73mm MAF and stock injectors then the correct sample tube is clear, or no color. If this does not work for you then tuning will be required. I am going to say this here with great emphasis. If anyone chooses to ignore this warning so be it, but I am going to state some facts here, not opinion. If you choose to ignore this, so be it.

If you install an aftermarket meter of any kind and it seems to you that the EEC needs to relearn before the car runs correctly, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. No learning should be required. If the engine doesn't want to idle then remove the aftermarket meter and reinstall the stock one until such time as you can have the car tuned. Improperly calibrated MAF's are the #1 cause of blown headgaskets and cracked pistons. Consider yourself warned.

But, you say, my car learned and then it was fine. Not exactly. Your car doesn't learn at full throttle where it matters most. Yes, eventually it will apply adaptive values to the full throttle datapoints but it won't happen overnight and there is no guarantee it will happen. Ever. And when it does (if it does) then you won't know when it did exactly. Personally I do not recommend taking such chances with a supercharged car all for less than 5rwhp.

"Less than 5rwhp you say?" Well, here is another happy little tidbit. If your car is nearly stock (less than 250rwhp), then you don't need an aftermarket meter. I have dyno proven that at 235rwhp the stock meter vs. 76mm C&L is no more than 3rwhp difference. You can't feel that and you certainly won't get even that much without tuning in the first place. Don't feel bad if you have stock injectors and you have to run the stock MAF. It will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone input, and Mr. Dave, i have never even knew that an improperly running maf can cause headgasket failures, and i know these cars decently well. The only reason i would like to install it is because i got it when i bought my 94 blower and a bunch of other aftermarket stuff. i have a 3.5 inch intake and the stock maf looks like a huge choke point. im gonna run outside and try moving it to a different position and see if that helps! thanks

ok well here is the results.put it on, ran idled well, revved up great in neutral, A/F was bouncing between lean and sto. like normal on my A/F gauge. took it for roughly a 2 mile spin and i didnt think i was gonna make it back, check engine light came on and i thought my A/F was busted all of a sudden no lights at all, which happens when it runs way lean. so im guessing that im in need of a tune. Dave do you know anyone in the north east around NY city that tunes these things? i think i should just buy a QH

anyone want this meter? its like in brand new shape

What A/F guage do you have? If its not a standalone wideband but one of those that tags the stock 02 sensor its junk.

innovate lm-2. the issue is its pegging it lean with this meter. im at the point with the mods that i have if i go any further im gonna have to start getting the car tuned. im probably not getting what i should be getting out of it period. does anyone know a P/n for the QH? and how user friendly is it?

Tuning the Ford EEC is building a new MAF curve. The reason for this is because everything else is load based which is dictated largely by the MAF curve. In essence what is happening is the maf signal is saying it is flowing less than what it really is thus it is commanding the lean mixture. So wether you use the stock MAF or the C&L you are still doing the same tuning. Why not use what you have? It sounds like the motor needs it.

I understand what your saying with the maf dictating fuel condition but now the problem I face is u have no way to get the car tuned.it runs perfect with the stock housin but like crap with the cl.the cl sampling tube for the 30 injectors is much larger than the stocker.I gotta look into ways of tunin this thing.

I had alil rough idle at first but my car had also set over a week and battery died so not sure if it was that or not but runs great and pulls harder up top!where do I find the color at on the tube,bought a 76mm but owner said it had the tube for 30lb injectors in it

Back