changed front cover no i have no oil pressure

TwoToneThunder

changed my front cover and the guage shows no oil pressure and it sounds like it has a knock which it did not have prior

what did i f up?

Did you remove the pump at any time? If so, you will need to prime it; usually by packing it with oil.
Of course, the knock probably means the shaft is misaligned with the pump. Pull the cam stalk out and look around.

Last edited:
Did you check the pressure relief valve? Could be stuck open, or not there.:eek:

Seems like you'd still get some pressure though...

How long did you run the car with the knock? I replaced the oil pump seal one time on my old 90 sc, didn't prime the system up or anything, knocked for the first couple seconds it ran before I shut it off. Started it back up after a couple prayers and it was gone just as abruptly with oil pressure. Scared the crap out of me. Proper way would be to get a hex-shaft to put down in their and spin it counter-clockwise with a drill until you feel it build pressure.
Chris

Last edited:
i only ran it for about 10 seconds and turned it off then refired it for 5 seconds or so i took the filter back off and it was still dry

Its a "plug" about 1/2" that holds a piston and spring into the front cover. I bet the pump lost prime. I pack mine with vasoline.

Here´s a pic of pressure relief valve,left one is stock and right one is a one that comes with Melling Hi-vol oil pump.
Right side of the picture You can see hole (half of it) where it belongs.

2178984740095556310S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back