Mark 8 rear end

davec73

SCCoA Member
I have purchased an entire mark 8 rear IRS what modifications are necessary to transplant it? That is the entire rear end and rear sub frame

I have purchased an entire mark 8 rear IRS what modifications are necessary to transplant it? That is the entire rear end and rear sub frame

None if you've got a SC.

What mods would you WANT? Maybe getting the pumpkin redone as a limited slip (Mark VIIIs from the factory are all open). Depending on your goal, possibly replacing the aluminum pumpkin with a cast iron one (less likely to burst at max torque, due to how much harder steel and iron are than aluminum).

I presume going into an SC, so the disc brakes are cool. If your old car is a non-disc rear end, then you'll also have to swap out the parking brake cables.

Also, you may want to walk through it and consider replacing some of the bushings - DLF makes a nice set of Delrin bushings. Also, I've not found ANYONE else with the inner lower control arm bushings for the Mark VIII. This may be a consideration for you.

RwP

I meant more along the lines of does it have shock mounts on the lower control arms and what mounting hardware will I need to put the springs in the perches where the air bags went I think everything else should mount right up in my 92 sc. I am also doing the cobra hub swap with 11.65 rear rotors ( i have the relocation brackets) while it is out of the car so I can mount the cobra wheels on and slide it under the car. Oh yeah while im doing that I am going to install the 1.5 in eibach lowering springs and unrelated to the rear end add the 255 lph fuel pump to feed the 60lb injectors I plan on installing.

Last edited:
There are a ton of posts on this process.:rolleyes:

Talk to DLF since he is the only one that has the blueprint from ThomasA about how the coil over mounts need to be made. He sells plastic mounts. Be prepared to have $0 left.

Us older guys have the aluminum inserts and every so often a set will come up for sale. If you don't need this done today keep an eye out in the for sale section.

I would once again strongly suggest the search function be used. ;)

Yes, it has shock mounts on the lower control arms.

You can let the springs sit in the perch, but yah, DLF's hats are a better idea.

You may not need to use the lowering springs if you use his short hat or don't use a hat at all - seems like factory springs sitting in the perch are a 1.5" drop or so, but search and see what DLF says in his sales lit for his top hat.

He's also got better bushings to mount the subframe to the body.

I presume you're doing this to reduce the weight back there?

RwP

Thanks for the reply, I am doing it for several reasons aluminum saves weight and transfers much les vibration, 307 gear ratio and my current 273 has a front seal leak. I was going to pull it and put the 308 ring and pinion I have in an replace all the seals but with the mark 8 out I can replace bushings do the rear cobra brake and hub conversion and add the lowering springs all at once

Back