1991 SC starting problem: update new questions

Lowell Croskey

Update

Thanks to all who shared their expertise related to my fuel problem. I have progressed to the point where I have learned I have a NO SPARK issue. To resolve my starting problems, I have replaced the fuel filter with no appearant improvement. I did check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and I have 36-40 psi with the engine not running.

I am now focused on the spark. I had my ICM checked at autozone and it tested bad. I replaced it with a new one and still no luck starting the car. I pulled the no. 6 spark plug wire and inserted a new spark plug in the wire to see if I am getting a spark. NO SPARK even with the new ICM. Now I am lost. Has anyone experienced a similar problem. I hesitate to play with the cam sensor or the crankshaft sensor. Is it likely one or both of these components are my problem? Since I am not getting any spark is it likely my DIS has failed? My wiring looks good.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I have a 1991 SC that has been in storage for 15 yrs. I start in 2 times a year. Recently, it will not start. It turns over fine. When it does run it runs very rough and shuts down. The gas is old. Has anyone had a similar experience? What was the cause? Is it likely to be the fuel pump? Thanks for any help you can offer

Lowell Croskey

Last edited:
fuel filter is right under passengers feet underneath . you can also listen for fuel pump for a second before you crank it , then check for spark

ralph

When I got my 89 w/6900 (not a typo) miles it had been sitting 18 years.

Once I oiled it up and turned it over by hand after changing fluids and exchanged about ten gallons of gas, I started it.
Started OK but within 15 seconds it was pig rich, blowing black smoke, just drowning itself in fuel.

I disconnected the MAF to force it in to a 'get home' mode.
With the MAF disconnected, it ran fine.....cleaned up in less than a minute.
So, in my case, it was a bum MAF.

Guess it didn't like sitting so long, heh, heh.

So, anyways, before you go too far you mught want to try the same thing....maybe lack of use has killed yours too.

By all means, the fuel exchange and filter replacement should be done as well.

Rob

no spark for me has always been crank sensor or cam sensor or bad harmonic balancer

ralph

As I asked in your other post, is the upshift light on when cranking the motor?
If so it could be a bad crank sensor or circuit.

Back